Powertrain Malfunction/Reduce power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conroy Smith

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was driving my 2018 ford expedition limited with 46000 miles yesterday when I got the msg in the title.
I left home about 6:45am on my way upstate NY, at 7:40am while on the highway I felt the engine loose and started to stutter. The msg with a spanner appeared on my dash. I was able to keep driving at reduce speed until was able to stop. After restart the msg went away. I was able to drive back home later that day with no issue. Have anyone ever had this experience and if so what was the final fix. Thanks.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was driving my 2018 ford expedition limited with 46000 miles yesterday when I got the msg in the title.
I left home about 6:45am on my way upstate NY, at 7:40am while on the highway I felt the engine loose and started to stutter. The msg with a spanner appeared on my dash. I was able to keep driving at reduce speed until was able to stop. After restart the msg went away. I was able to drive back home later that day with no issue. Have anyone ever had this experience and if so what was the final fix. Thanks.

Electronic throttle control assembly.

A trouble / fault code should be set.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/throttle-control-module-on-backorder.42664/#post-380453

OP
OP
Conroy Smith

Conroy Smith

Reaction score
Thanks.
I read something about drilling a hole in the inter-cooler, to release condensation build-up, is that for a different issue?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks.
I read something about drilling a hole in the inter-cooler, to release condensation build-up, is that for a different issue?

Ford went through several modifications for the inter cooler on the third generation Expedition and the F-150, that used the first generation EB 3.5L twin-turbo V-6.

There were TSB’s that instructed the dealer to modify the existing intercooler with a revised part. Problems were occurring when the vehicle was driven at expressway speeds in the rain.

Some people reported that they simply drilled a hole in the bottom of the inter cooler. Perhaps they knew more than the engineers at Ford?

The backyard “hole in the inter cooler” does not apply to the 4th generation Expeditions.

The warranty replacement of the throttle body assembly should be covered under an extended warranty (if you have one) or the emission’s warranty. I do not think Ford considers this part covered under the power train warranty.

If you disconnect the battery cable, you will erase any stored trouble code(s) and the dealer may not agree to replace it with no codes stored.

I own a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.

OP
OP
Conroy Smith

Conroy Smith

Reaction score
Ford went through several modifications for the inter cooler on the third generation Expedition and the F-150, that used the first generation EB 3.5L twin-turbo V-6.

There were TSB’s that instructed the dealer to modify the existing intercooler with a revised part. Problems were occurring when the vehicle was driven at expressway speeds in the rain.

Some people reported that they simply drilled a hole in the bottom of the inter cooler. Perhaps they knew more than the engineers at Ford?

The backyard “hole in the inter cooler” does not apply to the 4th generation Expeditions.

The warranty replacement of the throttle body assembly should be covered under an extended warranty (if you have one) or the emission’s warranty. I do not think Ford considers this part covered under the power train warranty.

If you disconnect the battery cable, you will erase any stored trouble code(s) and the dealer may not agree to replace it with no codes stored.

I own a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.
Thanks. I will be taking it to the dealer next week.

Wnomis

Reaction score
Had it happen to me once on January 1st this year and not since then. 2018 Ltd had maybe 6.4k when it happened

Larry Fuller

Reaction score
Unfortunately a fairly common issue going way back on V6 expeys.there was a recall on escapes years ago.
this is "LIMP MODE" which is not detailed in the manual.
I was able to limp 1 mile to a small town ford dealer when my 2017 EXPY with 52K did it a few months ago.
Let it sit and it restarted and drove Ok after 1/2 hour but I was not going to take a change getting stuck in middle of nowhere near Reno NV if it happened again. My engine did NOT display a trouble code for svc dept;'s use.
Mine was under CarMax warranty so I got to pay half.
throttle body is the issue-shop foreman told me "I know what it is but cannot prove it" which may be an issue with Ford warranty.
Long story short, Local dealer told me it happened to in the left lane of the freeway on a new demo car.
Someones wife online was the victim in a tunnel.
Pretty scary when you don't know whats going on.
Obviously FORD has an issue here they have not addressed sufficiently
good luck
Larry in RENO NV

OP
OP
Conroy Smith

Conroy Smith

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your input. Since that first occurrence it never happen again, at lease so far.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Add me to the list of people who have had the opportunity to enjoy limp mode after a 'powertrain malfunction' error. Mine was nice enough to occur on the interstate in the middle lane....going about 75....the error popped up and I basically lost almost all power and i just about got ran over as I couldn't hardly get above 50......luckily I finally made it over to the right lane and limped to the next exit.

Dealer has had it for 4 days now and still no resolution for a fix.....