probaly a dumb question about the liftgate glass, BUT i cant find the answer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On Halloween i am pulling my car hauler trailer loaded down with HAY and trick or treaters around our neighborhood. Last time i used my f150 and kept the back window open so i could hear the adults (monitors) if i needed to stop or slow down
so this time, using the expy, can i roll at 5 to 7 mph with the rear glass up? it looks flimsy to me, but i cant find any thing to say its ok or not...

will post up pics Tuesday of the trailer and its scarecrows ready to roll.

kids loved it last time, sang songs, got scared by creepy witches at the safe houses.
pics are from last time, this year i am making two more stuffed guys to ride along and be creepy

20151031_212500.jpg

20151031_212445.jpg

20151028_184853.jpg

Plati

Reaction score
i drive 45-50 with liftgate glass up on the way home from the dump and never considered it an issue. rear side windows open too ... to flush all the bad air & any bugs out

(I use the Beater for dump trips)

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You guys know how to have fun in Texas! Get me out of New York!

Except for the standard cautions about asphyxiating yourself, you'll have no problems. I've done it faster than that. Just look it over first to make sure nothing's loose or will fall off.

By the way, the owners manual for most years tells you not to do it. But gosh, what do they know?

Plati

Reaction score
.... Just look it over first to make sure nothing's loose or will fall off.....
Good point, the hinges tend to degrade and fail with time
Going over a BIG BUMP might be an issue too

and don't use a toaster in the bathtub!

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
going to start in the morning getting trailer converted to the scare wagon, picked up the straw this afternoon, going with taller sides this time and more stuffed coveralls.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
You'll be fine with the glass open, the trunk light on the headliner in the back will not shut off so expect that.

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd suggest getting a bungee on the glass hook to put some tension on the glass so the bungee uses the shock springs rather than the hinge stop.
Doesn't the back have a manual override switch for the lights? If not you can fashion a hook from a wire coat hanger and use that to lock the latch. Make it long enough to retrieve & flag it so you don't close the glass on it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as the hydraulic lift struts are sound it shouldn't be a problem. The only issue is will you have kids or adults in the third seat. Cops won't like kids back there with the window up, even with seat belts. Adults back there is kinda cramped if their over 5'9 inches tall.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here are the two scare crows, one is digitally enhanced with larger than normal boosums for a scarecrow, i Just have to add the straw on weds afternoon
i added lights and a 4" plastic pipe all the way around to hold in the straw...some reason the pic didnt send from my phone ?

no kids in the expy, just me, everyone else is on the trailer, i dont want a bunch of unknown kids crawling around inside with candy

scarecrows.jpg

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The owner's manual is contradictory. It first states to not drive with either the liftgate or liftgate window open; then describes how to to it. :) Ford has conveniently ebgineered the Expedition liftgate to dump everything immediately on opening even when parked. After grocery shopping I typically open the window first and verify the beer and wine is safe. (This same engineering puts anything left on the seats in the area next to the doors with the same results.)

-- Chuck