Problem things to look for before buying my 99 (4x4 Awd) Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newtral

Reaction score
I plan on buying a used 1999, 4x4 it alsos says Awd instead of 2W drive Expedition.

Seems in good condition when i tested it interiors ok no oil leaks and no rust underneath, accelerates great and has the off odometer problem.

I would like to know what Specific problems to look for on this vehicle ( i have no 4x4 experience ) though it seems to swich ok between selections on Hi/Lo. only problem i coul detect was a vibration at 70 mph wich probably is the tires wich ARE worn

Is there something in particular to look for related to transmisionor any other big problems?

Thank for any help/

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The DPFE sensor goes after a while on that engine. 70 dollar part that throws a code. Any mechanic could fix.

Also I have a 99 4x4 4.6 and the A4WD gave me problems after a while and I had to disconnect it. Pretty bullet proof truck.

BTW it actually is 2WD, A4WD is just 2WD that detects slippage and then locks the front. You just can't select the option to disable that with the selector.

wrangler45337

Reaction score
Didn't have any problems with my'99 EB A4WD. Ran like a ***** ape. And mine doesn't shut down at 100, she kept on pulling, and pulling hard, until I ran out of road!! Only thing that pissed me off is that the dealer used some motor honey to mask the main bearing noise it was making. I changed the oil after I got it and it started singing at 2500 to 4500 RPM. Thought it was a heat shield, but 25,000 hard (and I mean hard miles later, I run volunteer fire) miles later she locked up on me. But no other problems. Driveability, off-road ability, are all great. No other noises or transmission problems, nothing to complain about here. Anyone in Ohio DO NOT BUY FROM POWELLS AUTO SALES IN GREENVILLE, OHIO, THEY WILL SCREW YOU OVER.