Problem With My 2000 Expedition XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MOOOOOPS

Reaction score
Originally posted by chuck s
Is this 4Auto or 4All-wheel-drive?

This is 4AWD. Also, when I was driving earlier, the light started flashing on and off and the tires were jumping again, so I turned the 4X4 on to 4Hi for my ride, and when it was on, the tires never jumped. On my way home I turned the 4X4 back to 4AWD and on my first turn the tires jumped and about 5 mins later the light was flashing again. I plan on taking the car into my mechanic this week but until I do, should I just drive the truck in 4Hi? It seems to drive better with it in 4Hi but I dont want to ruin the truck.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh so it is in A4wd. Are the tires actually jumping or do you just feel jerking? I had the jerking problem and just disconnected the A4WD clutch completely since I don't have the 2WD option. Don't know why ford did that its pretty stupid. If you don't care about that feature you can do that to and it'll cost you about 6 inches of electrical tape. which is optional actually.

OP
OP
M

MOOOOOPS

Reaction score
Originally posted by AvroAero
Oh so it is in A4wd. Are the tires actually jumping or do you just feel jerking? I had the jerking problem and just disconnected the A4WD clutch completely since I don't have the 2WD option. Don't know why ford did that its pretty stupid. If you don't care about that feature you can do that to and it'll cost you about 6 inches of electrical tape. which is optional actually.

The tires dont actually jump off the ground. I just feel the jerking. I probably will disconnect the A4WD clutch since I dont want the truck to jerk. If I tell my mechanic to do this, how much do you think it will cost me?

Last edited:

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by MOOOOOPS
The tires dont actually jump off the ground. I just feel the jerking. I probably will disconnect the A4WD clutch since I dont want the truck to jerk. If I tell my mechanic to do this, how much do you think it will cost me?

If you go under your truck and find the transfer case (after the tranny that has the two drive shafts connected to it) and find the wiring harness that goes to it. There will be one brown wire that strays from the rest of the wires. Cut it and tape it so it won't possibly blow fuses.

Free.

mbinky818

Reaction score
Just jumping in on this topic. I have the same A4WD. When you cut that wire, do you still have the ability to use 4h and 2h or does that disconect the switch completly?

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That just disconnects the A4WD. 4WD (and 4low) and 2Hi have a separate motor to engage. I've done it to my truck.

OP
OP
M

MOOOOOPS

Reaction score
Just 1 more question. If I cut the wire that disconnects A4WD, what would I be driving in for regular everyday driving? 4Hi, 4Lo, or 2wd?