My experience with a 2018 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The expedition is based on the old f150 (2015) and was made to ride with parameters for that time. I had an 18 armada and it did not ride as smooth as my 18 expy did. At the time, the expy was one of the smoother suvs on the market. Now, everything has either caught up or surpassed it as they have used it as a benchmark. Same as the f150 to an extent. The current frame just cannot ride any better than what is possible, atleast what ford has done with it. All the current trucks are new and they uses the raM as the benchmark and probably their suvs as well. The new f150 also has a newer version of its frame, as a result, rides near the top of its class(i actually prefer it to the ram). The my22 expys do ride smoother, but not enough to reach what the others have done. Only the sequoia rides worse now, because they went back to the solid axle.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Armada might maybe ride better, but it got beat with the ugly stick inside and out. My 2019 Expedition isn't modern anymore, but I still smile when I see it.

OP
OP
H

hms18

Reaction score
The expedition is based on the old f150 (2015) and was made to ride with parameters for that time. I had an 18 armada and it did not ride as smooth as my 18 expy did. At the time, the expy was one of the smoother suvs on the market. Now, everything has either caught up or surpassed it as they have used it as a benchmark. Same as the f150 to an extent. The current frame just cannot ride any better than what is possible, atleast what ford has done with it. All the current trucks are new and they uses the raM as the benchmark and probably their suvs as well. The new f150 also has a newer version of its frame, as a result, rides near the top of its class(i actually prefer it to the ram). The my22 expys do ride smoother, but not enough to reach what the others have done. Only the sequoia rides worse now, because they went back to the solid axle.
Do you mean RAM is the best ride in class? Is the 22 Expy a significant improvement over the 18?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to most journalists, the ram on airsprings is the benchmark for the class, and is considered the most comfortable as far as ride quality. I haven't driven the Silverado or new sierra denali with the adaptive suspension, or the tundra on air springs, but between the ram and f150, I think the f150 is softer on smooth roads, but more bumpy on bad roads. Compared to my nav, most instances, I prefer my nav.

As far as the my22 expy and nav, the ones I've driven all had ccd. My current my20 nav has ccd as well, my my18 expy did not. First, ccd is a huge improvement in terms of comfort over the base springs imo. Ccd doesnt have the ride stiffness that my expy had sometimes. However the base springs have way better body control unless your in sport mode. Now btw old and new, the new trucks are an improvement, mainly in the control and bump isolation department, but they feel very firm compared to what the pre refreshed trucks offer. Compared to suvs I have driven, the escalade probably was the most comfy (at high speeds), followed by the wagoneer then the expy, which to me was superior to the yukon denali sans air springs. The ride difference btw them is actually not huge, but the air springs on escy and wag does help mitigate bump stiffness that the denali without air, my nav and current nav ccasionally has.

What kills the ford suvs ride for me is the body structure. It's just not tight and too loose. It jiggles and shakes far too often, and the rear end doesn't feel tied to the rear of the frame. The front suspension will glide over something, but same bumps hit in the back more abuptly, and shakes the window panes, giving it a crashy feel. This isnt all the time, just the times when the suspension decides to takes it "break". The gm and jeep trucks do shake, but not as much, especially on smooth roads, and they don't feel crashy even when their suspension make jarring hits.

New vehicle's don't have that nice of a balance as older early 2000s vehicles have. They are all too stiff. After driving some euro sedans like the e class and 5 series bmw, I still think my truck rides superior to them on the hwy, as well as my wife's cx9.

nema100

Reaction score
Hello,

- Shocks were leaking before the car was one year old. They replaced four shocks when I complained about the annoying ride and noises.

- Shocks went bad again, and they replaced them (about three years old).

- Once I was done with the warranty and unfortunately decided not to extend it, the car didn't take more than about a month to introduce a new noise from the front sides. The noise would increase as I accelerated. The dealer told me that the front bearings needed to be replaced, which they did, and the noise was cleared.

- I have seen strange behavior from the 10-speed transmission. The famous Park to Drive clanking noise is always there. Every time I complain, they just reprogram the transmission, and nothing changes. The other problem is when the transmission is in the 4--6 range, it seems like it hangs and tries to switch gears back and forth and then settles. It's something that's very hard to explain, and I still hear a noise when I hit the accelerator when in 4--6. Reprogramming did nothing to fix the problem.
So, do you live on really bad roads or are heavily loaded? I'm always curious how bearings and shocks go bad before 100k.

As far as the transmission, that clunk is slop in the drivetrain... most likely u joints. I reached under and turned the driveshaft a full 1/4 turn and then it stuck. I'm bringing that up to the dealer since its under warranty, but it definitely can't be good for the transmission over the long haul to have the driveshaft bang like that. I had the same issues with a catchy gear, inevitably, lost reverse, and they rebuilt the tranny with the new drum.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't speak for the 2018 model or any other model. But my 2019 Expedition Platinum floats down the road. It is super quiet, very economical on gas, and the smoothest shifting and ride. Add to that it's like a rocket ship with power to spare, I could not be happier. Do they have quirks? YES.
My salesman told me back in 2021 all newer vehicles have become more like computers on wheels. So the more toys they have the more issues they have. He was trying to sell me an extended warranty.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I am reading and based on the service bulletin that Ford released in May, the 2023 vehicles may have better longevity with the transmission. The service bulletin is only for vehicles produced before Dec. '22. Just be careful with the newer Yukons and Tahoes as they share some of the transmission issues. GM and Ford co-designed the transmission. I have no idea if GM corrected their transmission issues as well.
GM/Chevy codesigned the tranny with Ford. But GM/Chevy put a stand-alone transmission oil cooler in front of engine radiator, which is the old school way to cool transmission by air flow. And external cooler has been proved to be pretty effective. However, Ford just uses an heat exchanger to cool transmission oil, which means your engine temperature is pretty much as same as your transmission temperature (supposed to be 170F - 190F for longevity).

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
GM/Chevy codesigned the tranny with Ford. But GM/Chevy put a stand-alone transmission oil cooler in front of engine radiator, which is the old school way to cool transmission by air flow. And external cooler has been proved to be pretty effective. However, Ford just uses an heat exchanger to cool transmission oil, which means your engine temperature is pretty much as same as your transmission temperature (supposed to be 170F - 190F for longevity).
True unless you have the heavy duty tow package, which is a plus.

HILLY

Reaction score
True unless you have the heavy duty tow package, which is a plus.
HD tow package still doesn't have any external radiator for the transmission. The coolant radiator is supposed to be thicker for more area/volume, but that's it aside from gearing and and xfer case (if 4x4).

Downside to the heat exchanger (HX) is that the transmission fluid will never be cooler than the coolant. So if temps run 210*, then that's the coolest it'll ever be. Quick fix is to swap out a cooler T-stat (170/180/etc.). I did an SPD 170* and that did a lot to bring temps down. Before I was running in the 210*-220* range, now with the T-stat it runs for the most part 180*-190*.

I physically installed a Mishimoto transmission cooler a while back. Still need to finish plumbing it up. Long-term plan is to bypass the HX and run coolant up front.

OP
OP
H

hms18

Reaction score
So, do you live on really bad roads or are heavily loaded? I'm always curious how bearings and shocks go bad before 100k.

As far as the transmission, that clunk is slop in the drivetrain... most likely u joints. I reached under and turned the driveshaft a full 1/4 turn and then it stuck. I'm bringing that up to the dealer since its under warranty, but it definitely can't be good for the transmission over the long haul to have the driveshaft bang like that. I had the same issues with a catchy gear, inevitably, lost reverse, and they rebuilt the tranny with the new drum.

I do have bad roads, but I never had so many suspension issues with any Japanese cars on the same roads. Besides leaking, even the new shocks are so harsh that I feel every bump or hole on the road up my spine. It's just not comfortable. I even replaced the rear shocks with Bilstein 5100, with NO difference (with 18 tires). It's more than just shocks. The suspension designer had no objective to make the ride comfortable on bumpy roads.