Problems with the 3.5L Turbo Engines 2015-17???

Should we start demanding a 4 door Bronco right now?

• Hell Yes!!!

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I like the new 2018+ "Expedition" (Giant over priced Ford Flex)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • You should buy a 2015 Scion xB.

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A have a feeling the Bronco is going to be mid-size Ranger based, not F-150 based which is what I had hoped for. On the Raptor I think Ford had it right the first time around, the 6.2L sounded the job, it allowed for a winch since no intercooler, and had those damn cool badges with the twin pipe exhaust. As stated previously Uncle Sam didn’t like that big rebellious truck. I like the new aluminum bodies for the rust prevention and they have nice body lines, although the chassis is no better off than a steel truck. My one gripe is the road noise/ ride is worse on the aluminum 13th gens vs the steel 12th gens. That 500-700 pounds of weight helped on the ride and with the towing control.

All the crossovers are car based and are to sway buyers away from body on frame SUV and sedans. It’s all the rage right now, all bark no bite. They look bigger but have low capacities and are just that, a lifted sedan. Not to say they are bad but they just aren’t original.

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fix Or Repair Daily.... UGH, You definatly didn't get a Wednesday truck. Thanks for the very useful info. My 2013 Taurus (3.5L) has the same exhaust rattle but more often. Super loud outside the car, can't hear it at all from inside with windows up. Oil preasure sensor was leaking giving me low oil preasure light progressivly more often. Changed it with FoMoCo part, all better.

View attachment 32391

My '15 has 85K miles on it, and the only engine work it's had is a water pump (at 85k)...there have been a few other things, nothing major, besides tires/brakes.

OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '15 has 85K miles on it, and the only engine work it's had is a water pump (at 85k)...there have been a few other things, nothing major, besides tires/brakes.

Thanks Doc, the more feedback I get the better since AAA deemed our King Ranch a Total Loss. Now we're back in the market and it IS SLIM PICKINS out there. We can get a 2010-14 with 130,000+ miles on it, or pay about $10k more and get into a 2015-16. With many reports of 200,000+ miles on the F150 ecoboost and still going strong, I have no doubt that the 15-17 Expeditions will continue to run (with regular maintenance) until the seats fall apart, leather falls off the steering wheel and all the paint bubbles off the rear hatch door.

So we're looking for a King Ranch outside of California but know it's risky due to CA's crazy emissions tax scheme (hope the Feds win the EPA lawsuit!).

Does anyone have stories , good/bad, about buying outside of CA and getting it to pass CA smog?

Thanks!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just for clarity, cause I didn’t see it mentioned.

No 15+ have air suspension. Some have rear load leveling shocks. They use no compressor, and are independent of each other. No electronics involved. They are made by NivoMat, and work pretty good. They do stiffen the rear when under load, but when setting up load leveling hitch, it can be a little of a pain.

3.5TT EB in the 15-17 Expy is the same as a 2014 F-150 as far as most parts and issues.

There was a comment above about the 17’s not having the carbon issue. That is not true. The 18 was the first year that the Expy went to the 2nd Gen 3.5TT EB, which adds Port injection in addition to Direct. That helps with dissolving the deposits.

A JLT catch can does WONDERS for decreasing those deposits also and is a 10 minute install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just for clarity, cause I didn’t see it mentioned.

No 15+ have air suspension. Some have rear load leveling shocks. They use no compressor, and are independent of each other. No electronics involved. They are made by NivoMat, and work pretty good. They do stiffen the rear when under load, but when setting up load leveling hitch, it can be a little of a pain.

3.5TT EB in the 15-17 Expy is the same as a 2014 F-150 as far as most parts and issues.

There was a comment above about the 17’s not having the carbon issue. That is not true. The 18 was the first year that the Expy went to the 2nd Gen 3.5TT EB, which adds Port injection in addition to Direct. That helps with dissolving the deposits.

A JLT catch can does WONDERS for decreasing those deposits also and is a 10 minute install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Everything above , 100% correct

Nevin

Reaction score
I bought a 15 expy EL back in March and so far ( i havent read all the replies) I am the highest or at least the highest milease i have heard of the ecoboost equipped expys now currently at 174k. I bought it at 168k from a semi-local sealer for a price i couldn't believe. This is very unusual but he could tell right away i had experience as a mechanic. The salesman (who was also a mechanic as they were short handed) let me pull the car myself onto their 4 post lift so i couls look at the underside.

I bought it knowing that it had obviously high miles, the one power running board didnt work (we just turned them off for now) and it had a cracked ps mirror front piece...thing.

No issues at all with paint and they had just given it a tune up and changed a vacuum pump i believe he said?

He gave me the original owners number and i call them and it turna out it was someone I have associated with before and he had nothing bit praise for the car, they just wanted a tax write off basically foe his wife's business for which she constantly drove the expy on the interstate.

Anyways, since then i have had to replace a blower fan motor and i have changed pretty much all the fluids as well as dojng thr normal stuff like rumning the CRC intake valve cleaner, using maf cleaner of the 2 map sensors and the iat sensor and my rear muffler or resonator or whate er is back there looked like a cat died in there one day so i removed it and made myself a rear muffler delete side exit exhaust.

I have worked at mechanic shops since...2003 or so so the idea of high miles didnt bother me at all.

I have not in any way been disappointed by this thing. We replaced our 2004 mountaineer 4.0 v6 awd and we loved that too but it just wasnt big enough foe our growing family. The mountaineer would get in the 17-19 mpg range combined depending how you drove it and this gets easily the same or better. In fact just 3 weeks before we drove the same route for a family outing and got 19.5 mpg with the mountain man and on the way home from the dealer with the expedition my trip computer said 20.5. You mean i get 150 more horsepower AND better mileage? Yes. PLEASE.

My wife loves the sync and the USB stuff, we love the lexibilty of the seating arrangement, it drives so smooth and it will absolutely surprise many "muscle" cars of the 90s-2000s era.

I do plan on making an intake, replacing the 2.5" section of exhaust with 3" and upgrading the muffler to 3" as well the possibly making a nice downpipe setup, and adding a tow tune, but my priorities are to get all the fluids up to ***** first. So far i have changed the tranny oil to amsoil syn atf (whatever the new version is called, with a blue lid), same in tranfer case amsoil extreme 75w90 in the rear end, flushed the engine and did amsoil signature synthetic 5w30 and I have somw coolant sitting at my shop and a tstat and i will likely change it tomorrow. Thinking of changing the brake fluid some time as well and upgrading to dot 4.

Best trip mileage i have ever gotten was a 20 mile trip home on a 2 lane highway following a car going 53 when i parked in the garage it said 28.2. Same trip home 2 days later with cruise set at 61 it said 25.5. It will routinely get 23 on the highway and combined it will hover around 20 mpg.

Anyway, thats my story. Sorry it ended up being so long.

Nevin

Reaction score
Sorry, double post.

And please forgive the numerous spelling errors. Im on my phone and this thing has the worst spelling suggestion checker thing I have ever witnessed on God's green earth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, double post.

And please forgive the numerous spelling errors. Im on my phone and this thing has the worst spelling suggestion checker thing I have ever witnessed on God's green earth.

Nevin, Thanks for all the info and thank you to everyone else who contributed.

We broke down and got a 2013 Limited, 4x4, HD Tow pkge, Rear Load-Leveling, Touch Nav w/SYNC, etc etc... 75,000 miles for a fair price. Finding one with the mechanical options we wanted took 5 weeks of almost hourly state-wide searches. No Overhead DVD but that's an easy fix these days. With baby #4 due date being moved up 3 weeks, we needed our family truck asap. Couldn't find another King Ranch EL within California (anywhere in the state) and didn't feel like trying my luck buying out-of-state with how CA DMV does the Smog testing. I would have liked the 3.5L t.t. but they were all out of our price range unless I did a high mileage one. Although I have the skills to keep up a high mileage vehicle, I lack the time needed to complete the repairs. So now my 2013 Expedition EL Limited and my 2013 Taurus Limited have the same colors and interiors! Kind of fun to see in the garage or driveway. (Pic together will come soon.)1521667005.jpg

Nevin

Reaction score
Nice find! It looks sharp!

I figured I would end up with a v8 but basically stumbled across this one at the right time.