procedure for lining up rear trailing arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braddaddy

Reaction score
Pass-side trailing arm broke in half...drvr-side holding on by threads.....found it when I got under pass-side to investigate rusted out muffler......

I got the pass-side arm off --I used 1/2" sockets/ratchet with extension pipes (persuaders) on the handle to remove the 'PB Blasted' nuts --and went to install the new arm and found it to be about 1/4" too long.

From reading all the posts I could find, I see I need to get the axle to move a bit using a come-along.

Can someone walk me thru this procedure?
I think I get the jist of what needs to be done.....I just cant get the HOW...Im frustrated and soaked....
Doing this in the rain on the gravel driveway--no garage.

Jack up what?

Put Jack stands where?

Connect come-along where and where?

Do I let the axle hang freely while the frame is on jackstands?

Frame and bottom of shock on jackstands?

Thanks!!!

trophyman

Reaction score
Pass-side trailing arm broke in half...drvr-side holding on by threads.....found it when I got under pass-side to investigate rusted out muffler......

I got the pass-side arm off --I used 1/2" sockets/ratchet with extension pipes (persuaders) on the handle to remove the 'PB Blasted' nuts --and went to install the new arm and found it to be about 1/4" too long.

From reading all the posts I could find, I see I need to get the axle to move a bit using a come-along.

Can someone walk me thru this procedure?
I think I get the jist of what needs to be done.....I just cant get the HOW...Im frustrated and soaked....
Doing this in the rain on the gravel driveway--no garage.

Jack up what?

Put Jack stands where?

Connect come-along where and where?

Do I let the axle hang freely while the frame is on jackstands?

Frame and bottom of shock on jackstands?

Thanks!!!

WOW, been there on the gravel drive way myself.

Really, if you don't know where to put the jack stands, you shouldn't be working under the vehicle! I JUST did this job last week on my 2000 Eddie Bauer. You need to replace BOTH SIDES, UPPER AND LOWERS. They are all rusted and will fail.

you will need to jack the vehicle up in the rear and put jack stands under the frame, close to the differential. Remove the rear tires to get better access, especially for the upper arms.

You can let the rear hang, the shocks and anti sway bar wont let the rear hang too low. To line up the holes, attach the cable end hook of ur come-a-long to the bottom of the shock mount. If you have a trailer hitch, you can hook the other to that. If not, you might need to wrap a strap, rope or chain around the bumper to attach the come-a-long on the back side. It wont take too much to get the holes to line up.

Only do one arm at a time. The other arm will help hold the rear in place. Good Luck.

OP
OP
B

braddaddy

Reaction score
Thanks!!

As far as the jack stands - my concern was if I needed to have one under the axle or let it hang.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put jack stands under the axle to support it. Place the tires you removed under the truck for safety -just in case .

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a rusted out trailing arm as well. Placing the jack stands under the frame is the best spot but i threw two just under the axle as an extra messure. They were not acutally touching the axle but there for a peace of mind.