Programmer ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tbird610

Reaction score
So nobody has done a before or after 0-60 time? Just wondering thats all. I mean how else could you tell if a programmer actually hepled?
TIA

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have done them but cant find them. posted them here before but cant find where. posts only go back 500 in personal stats. i'll keep looking.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So nobody has done a before or after 0-60 time? Just wondering thats all. I mean how else could you tell if a programmer actually hepled?
TIA

Mileage, throttle response, smoother shifting, higher rev limit, combine them all together, and I'm fairly confident the 0-60 times bettered themselves. I've just never did a definitive test to see it in black and white. My brain and butt are my only guides. I will say that recently I had to return to stock settings to have some service done and while the programmer was out, she felt like a slow pig. Slow off the line, lower red line, shifts weren't as smooth, couldn't wait to get home and throw the programmer back in. That's my only answer to that it actually helped the drive ability.

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys. Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one.

So I've got about $350-$400 to spend on a programmer for my 2004 5.4L Expy, and I'm not sure which to choose.

What I'm most interested in is getting a few extra MPGs. Don't really care about increasing torque and horsepower or about big screens to view real-time data. Just want something that comes with a preloaded MPG tune and that also allows me to add a couple custom tunes if I ever need to.

I've done some online research and narrowed it down to these devices:

- Hypertech Max Energy E-CON 43500 = $330 + free shipping
- Edge Evo HT = $350 + free shipping
- Superchips Cortex = $380 + free shipping
- SCT SF3 3015 = $380 + $40 shipping + $?? import duties (US to Canada) = ~ $450 total.

The SCT goes a bit over my budget, but I'd be willing to pony up the extra cash if the device is better than the rest.

Now I know that none of you had all these devices to compare, but maybe each of you can post their list of pros and cons on the device you do own and I'll draw my conclusion from that data.

thanks!

PS: one last question: do these devices *need* to stay plugged into your OBD port all the time? Or do you just plug it in, reprogram your Ford's CPU and then plug it out?

Last edited:

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Go with a Edge CT or CTS....call Mark Haywood @ Edge Performance Products..888-360-3343 and tell him you are a member of this forum and mention my name....they have special pricing set up for us...I have a EDGE CS and I love it....I just checked my average MPH through my programmer yesterday and I am averaging 21.2 mpg on level 3 which is the custom tune and I use only premium fuel with no ethanol....my programmer has paid for itself long ago in fuel savings.

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip chappy. I'm afraid the CS goes way out of my price range, when I factor in US -> Canada shipping and duties. How much did you pay for yours?

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
No Problem...thats what we are all here for...well US funds it would fall right into your price range...I paid $400.00 for mine...you should call Edge and get a price...have someone here buy it and than send it you...I played that Canadian game before...

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow. that's a great price!! ($1 Canadian is 99 cents US today)
What I found online hovered around $450 not including shipping + duties.
You know what, I'll contact them to see what they can do for a poor canadian fellow :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman