Prolonged un-driven Expy concerns!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
My 2003 5.4 EB Expedition has sat idle since June of 2022 and I'm wondering...

What items should be checked and/or what if any fluids should be changed at this point before I get her back on the road again?
She has been garaged so the elements aren't a variable.

Thank you in advance for your intel.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally would just flush all the fluids, (brake fluid, engine oil, coolant) and do a visual inspection of the rubber hoses for cracking), I would also try to add fresh gas to the tank as the gas will have gone bad in that time.. then try and start it and do a couple of gentle small drives to make sure everything is okay.. if it wasn’t kept on a trickle charger, your battery might also have failed or need changing.. you will find out when you try to start the engine..

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
15 months is not really all that long, but definitely due for an oil change. The gas MAY still be usable, but get fresh fuel in it as soon as possible. Otherwise check all the normal fluids. A battery that sits that long unused may be permanently dead. Play that by ear. Put the charger on it and hope it holds a charge. If you are using 10% ethanol fuel, rust in the tank and or fuel system may be a problem. Might be a good idea to change the fuel filter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
I agree, I'll change the fuel filter. I hadn't thought of that.

Davey

Reaction score
that's not a long time. Mom's 2003 Lexus E300 sat longer than that. No worries, started right up (battery tender) filled up the tank and drove the heck out of it.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
Found my battery was bad. Bought a new battery and she started up but wouldn't stay running. Checked and heard the fuel pump functioning as expected. Then ran my fingers along all vacuum lines and found one chewed, possibly by a squirrel. Replaced and and she runs. Took her for a slow local residential street drive to get her fluids going and listen for other issues.
I only found one. Feels like a brake is dragging because when I let off the gas, she'll slow rather quickly.

I'm thinking stuck or dragging caliper however, does anyone know of a transmission issue that would cause the automatic slowing?

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have one of those infrared thermometers, you can use it to find which caliper is stuck or if that's the problem. How does the transmission fluid look?

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
If you have one of those infrared thermometers, you can use it to find which caliper is stuck or if that's the problem. How does the transmission fluid look?
That's the thing. I've never replaced it because honestly, I'm scared to. I've read many stories about how after transmission maintenance has been neglected, that in many cases, the fresh fluid and it's detergents will make every fault and worn part completely noticeable. So I'm worried about opening a can of worms.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's the thing. I've never replaced it because honestly, I'm scared to. I've read many stories about how after transmission maintenance has been neglected, that in many cases, the fresh fluid and it's detergents will make every fault and worn part completely noticeable. So I'm worried about opening a can of worms.
I've heard the same thing. "They" say if you haven't changed the transmission fluid by 100k or so, not to change it now because of the reasons you stated. I don't know how much truth there is to it tho. There are arguments on both sides.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
I've heard the same thing. "They" say if you haven't changed the transmission fluid by 100k or so, not to change it now because of the reasons you stated. I don't know how much truth there is to it tho. There are arguments on both sides.
And she's at 250k so the paranoia is real