Prolonged un-driven Expy concerns!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I decided to throw caution to the wind and take her to the car wash because (sitting since June 2022) there was quite the layer of dust.
So, she drove fine at residential speeds however, once I got on the freeway and went to accelerate to freeway speeds, she started pinging like a can of ball bearings something fierce! Then, as I needed to push her a bit harder up an off ramp, while I was also being light on the pedal to keep the pinging to a minimum, she stalled out and refused to start back up. Luckily, due to my paranoia, I had my wife following behind me.
I tried several times to start her up to no avail. She wanted to but died almost immediately or bubbled at an almost indiscernible level.

Jumped in the chase truck and ran home. Grabbed some Starter Fluid and a screwdriver so I could go back and spray right into the intake at the MAF Sensor.

Got back to Bonnie and my wife crank as I sprayed. She started up immediately and as long as the throttle was pumped, she ran. Had the wife jump out (shoulder of a bridge off-ramp) and I jumped in to keep gassing her to keep her alive. Threw her into D and coaxed her home.

So.... I'm thinking bad gas with a very diminished octane rating. Would y'all agree?

Side note: When she stalled, I didn't get her all the way off the exit lane and threw her into N to let her roll back so I could get her better out of the way however, she refused to roll as if a brake was on or she was still in gear even though she was in neutral. So, this correlates to my feeling like a caliper is dragging as she was obviously shifting accurately because I was able to get her home.

Would y'all also concur with this second theory?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I've only driven her locally as I didn't have confidence in taking her on long drives because she was shutting off randomly.
I did notice one dark morning when I went to start her up and she kept shutting off that the fog lights kept on flickering in sequence with a relay clicking.
I decided to remove the fuse cover to isolate which relay may be faulty and much to my surprise, when I did. The flickering stopped so I started her up and what do you know... No more stalling so I surmised that somehow, the cover is pressing on a relay and causing the random stalling issue.

I've been driving her locally still for a couple weeks and she hasn't stalled once!

I DO still have the issue where she seems to be have a hanging brake caliper because when I let off the brake, she stays in place without my pressing the brake AND it's definitely not a transmission issue.
I did touch all the wheels after driving her at speed on the freeway and the front right wheel feels hot hot while the other three do not.

I'm gonna try the short cut version and spray some penetrant into the caliper guides on the front right at night when it's cool and see if there's a noticable difference the next morning. If that does show some marked improvement, I'm gonna disassemble and clean/grease that guide.

I'll update as I continue.