Pully /belt noise? (VIDEO)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

How all is well. I own a 1998 for expedition xlt. Amazing vehicle. My dad Bought it with 30k , now it had about 130k running stronger then ever. But there is this loud rattling noise coming from what seems to be Tue belt pully area.

Please reference to the picture where the sounds is coming from and video to listen to the noise.

https://app.box.com/s/vg1ssnfzyykcovaoyhtnv9r8ws36xqz9

In case video didn't work copy and paste link https://app.box.com/s/vg1ssnfzyykcovaoyhtnv9r8ws36xqz9

Thank you in advance for you feedback and time guys.

Apollo View attachment 10103

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
actually hard to hear for me; sounds garbled. But - if its the tensioner, those aren't hard to replace - I did one in the parking lot of an auto parts store.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's the air rushing past the mic, what I think he's highlighting is the chirping sound which I too have, though haven't gotten around to diagnosing...

OP
OP
I
Reaction score
Yes , I maybe didn't describe the sound right. But yes If listen closely it's that chirping sound Mediamonkey11 mentions, in the background..the pully does have a little rough spot on the edge if you note on the picture attached on my first post.
Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pull the serp belt off so there isn't any tension on the pulleys. Spin each pulley, you will know when you get to the bad one as it will spin rougher than the others. Replace as necessary.

OP
OP
I
Reaction score
Okay, I will try that this weekend depending on the weather up here in the northeast. Does it matter if the pulley has a bit of rust of the outside rim of the pulley? Or that could be that chirping noise?

In other words , what wear can the pulley experience ?

Thanks in advance.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulleys will wear from contact with the serp belt which shows as clean metal or dull plastic. Most noises will come from bearings that are on their way out and will have a rough feel to them when rotated. The bearings will normally fail long before the pulley itself unless it is damaged.

A weak tensioner will bounce while the engine is running and should be replaced. It has a range limit to its movement and should be checked to see if it is at the max limit - look at the stops where it pivots.

OP
OP
I
Reaction score
Pulleys will wear from contact with the serp belt which shows as clean metal or dull plastic. Most noises will come from bearings that are on their way out and will have a rough feel to them when rotated. The bearings will normally fail long before the pulley itself unless it is damaged.

A weak tensioner will bounce while the engine is running and should be replaced. It has a range limit to its movement and should be checked to see if it is at the max limit - look at the stops where it pivots.
Great thanks for that tip! Makes sense. I will remove the serp belt and check out the bears feel on the pulley. If I can make a quick video with results I will.

Thanks to all for the tip and help.