Purchase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwkyla

Reaction score
My husband and I are considering purchasing a 2000 Expedition XLT with 90K miles. I've done research on reviews and forums and you either love 'em or you hate 'em. I am aware of the gas mileage...but overall is it a good purchase? Would you buy another? What problems have you encountered with your Expo?

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
00 is a good year. What engine? I have had my lug on the exhaust manifold blow out but I've done mods to it which prob provoked it. 4.6 isn't worth it unless your not towing/carrying many people often.

I'd buy another. Nice smooth transmission.

wickman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2000 XLT with the 5.4. It has 101,000 miles on it. I have had no problems with it other than an ABS light that is on. Drives nice, comfortable. And this is coming from a Chevy guy. My wife wanted a furd.:D If you don't mind me asking, how much is the one you are looking at? We are looking at selling ours for something newer.

kailor

Reaction score
I've a 2000 XLT Limited, 94K miles, 4.6L, 2WD, and I love it. I have had to get some work done:
GEM module: $ 840, (common problem, leaky windsheild on drivers side leads to corrosion of this electronic module)
Would I buy another one? Absolutely!

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by kailor
I've a 2000 XLT Limited, 94K miles, 4.6L, 2WD, and I love it. I have had to get some work done:
GEM module: $ 840, (common problem, leaky windsheild on drivers side leads to corrosion of this electronic module)
Would I buy another one? Absolutely!

^^ There was a TSB issued for that very reason.

OP
OP
V

vwkyla

Reaction score
We're looking at the bigger engine with all the bells and whistles, towing package, power, running boards...I can't remember if it's leather or cloth. He's asking $10,700 but kbb.com says it's not worth that. Only worth about $8,800 according to Kelly Blue Book.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't really comment on the pricing as I'm in Ontario but you'll enjoy it especially with the 5.4. I'm trying everything to get my 4.6 to push more, is working somewhat but no substitute for a 5.4. Is it EB?
I'd check to see if the load leveling is working properly. Not sure of the proper way but I'd turn it off with a switch near the kick plate on the passengers side then load the ass end with people or something and turn it on and see if the compressor kicks in. I think the keys have to be in or the truck started, not sure as I don't have it. Although someone I work with has a 97 EB with the load leveling and he overloaded it constantly and the compressor blew I think, then a line.

But thats the first year, I'd still buy one with it.

And he beats that truck to shit.

One other thing for future knowledge if you jack it up or tow it MAKE SURE you turn off the load leveling as it'll try to compensate for it and blow the compressor because its constantly going.

Last edited:

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by kailor
lakmflx,

You posted all TSB lookups.
"00" NONE

Thats a generalization of TSB's not the actual that were listed.

wickman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
KBB lists my XLT with 101,000 on the clock at $10,500 retail. It is a 2000, fully loaded with the 5.4. I would offer the guy $9500. Where are you located? Probably not in Alaska:(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik