Question for everyone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E36Graduate

Reaction score
My wife had me trade in our 2006 limited for a 2012 limited and it is a different ride - basically same motor that's been around quite some time. It's worth driving a gen 3 before the new 2015. Going to save a bit of money buying slightly used too! I drive a FSI v8 in my audi and it requires occasional valve cleaning (decarbonizing). The spark plugs on our 06 were original at 97k and I wasn't looking forward to changing those! Ford changed over from the 2 piece plug sometime in 08.

Slick07

Reaction score
Tomringler,

The carbon buildup problem you speak of in the ecoboost is due to driver error. These engines are like the new diesels as far build. They are purposely built to work. So when you drive them on short trips with a soft foot, carbon will build like said before in any engine. Boosted engines see the effects more drastically than NA. So every now and then take it on the freeway and drop the hammer on the on ramp, this will blow all the carbon build up out of the tail pipes. One more thing, lower octane levels mean increased carbon in the powertrain, lesson I learned the hard way. These engines may say they can run on 85 minimum, but I wouldn't run it consistently on that octane. I have an 07 Navi with the 5.4 and when I bought it the tailpipe was black inside which means the previous owner ran the lower grade of fuel. I only run 91+, which is about $5 difference between 85 and 91 per fill up. My tailpipe is clean inside, no knocking from the engine, oil comes out caramel at 5K miles instead of black (full synthetic), and when I tickle the skinny pedal the engines sings me a sweet melody at 91 octane. I would not hesitate to get the ecoboost, I would just open the throttle once a week to make sure there is no junk in the engine.

Sorry for the long post, but hope this helps.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Slick07, Everything you wrote makes perfect sense in a fuel port injected engine. All great advice for the Ecoboost too. However, the problem with the Ecoboost is it is direct injection into the combustion chamber....the intake valves are dry, fuel never touches them to flush the carbon. There has been talk of using walnut shells and blast the carbon off each valve while the heads are still on the engine. I think careful use of spray direct injection cleaner would be wise every 20-30K, follow the directions on the can. 3K oil changes with Motorcraft or an aftermarket synthetic oil is very important. Never go by the oil life gauge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712