Rack & Pinion Play in Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so I definitely have some play in my steering and I already replaced the steering shaft with u joints. When I play with the free play in the wheel the entire shaft turns back-and-forth all the way to the rack and pinion. During that time the tire rods are not budging if I give it a little more effort pass the FreePlay then the tie rods start moving. So I know it’s the rack and pinion having play. Is there a way to tighten up that little play in the rack? I found the screw or bolt that loosens and Toghtens but it has a plastic cap. I posted a photo if I turn to tighten that cap will it tighten my steering? I have nearly 200,000 miles.. posting a picture93BB90B9-806A-4A10-8AE0-42152F8BB817.jpeg

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried adjusting it. Go get yourself a rebuilt rack, preferably a Motorcraft and call it a day. That's what I did.

I have successfully adjusted steering racks and recently my daughters 2003 Monte Carlo, but not on the Expedition.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire