Radiator Life Expectancy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been reading about how radiators on 1st gens fail by cracking the plastic end tank right above the lower radiator hose attachment. What I haven't got a good handle on is when this typically happens.

In a prior life, I used to drive a Saturn S-series. They were known for a similar failure in a similar spot. And they all seemed to happen around 12 years regardless of mileage. My Expedition is 15 (almost 16) years old and I can only assume it's the factory radiator.

This winter the family will be loading up for a big road trip. Having that end tank fail on us in the middle of nowhere is weighing on my mind.

Is there a way to inspect the end tank to see if it's getting close to cracking? Or should I just replace it with a new one and put my mind at ease?

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might be able to crawl under it and see if the plastic is fatigued or starting to leak. To have true piece of mind replace the radiator and the lower hose.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks.

As I was typing out that post, I was coming to that conclusion as well. I'll see if I can inspect it before this snow storm moves in.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I took a peek at it and it looks fine. The plastic isn't bulged (but the engine was cold).

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really the only good test is to get it up to temp, shut down, wait a short amount of time (5 minutes), and then SLOWLY and CAREFULLY, open the radiator cap, just a crack. If the radiator Hisses, close and you are at least under pressure, meaning no leaks. If there is not much pressure, hisses a tiny bit and you can take the cap off with no problems, you probably have a leak somewhere.

The bottom side leak is common, and you find it because it drips down, but you could have a pressure leak on the TOP of the plastic/metal parts, causing a small drip, tiny almost, and thus you don't see it.

Check the cross member right under the Radiator. Sometimes they can leak and the drip follows that member across, so you don't see it.

These plastic/metal hybrid radiators are terrible. Whenever I have replaced a radiator in anything, I also replace the upper and lower hoses, usually the cost is moot compared to the radiator. I also usually try to put in a bigger one than the factory, if I am able (if I had expy specific info for you, I would share it, but I have Colorado state vehicle experience, a Jeep Cherokee). Also, do look at all aluminum, I have had wonderful results with them in the past, and less failure. (again, in XJs that are the WORST for overheating)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett