Ran out of gas. Is fuel pump damaged?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfh77665

Reaction score
I ran out of gas, is fuel pump heat damaged? Or can they withstand this happening a time or two? My 1998 ford Expedition is running fine after it was refilled.

I was literally 20 feet from the pumps. I got out, pushed it in and had gas flowing in less than a minute from when it ran out.

The gauge showed almost 1/8, and there was no "low fuel" light on, but it was indeed empty.

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
typically no, this will not burn up a pump, although the pump is directly cooled by the fuel running through it you do a lot more damage continuously trying to start an engine that is out of fuel than just running it out of fuel. the only thing I would recommend if economy or performance changes is changing your fuel filter as all the silt that was at the bottom of your tank that was small enough to pass the pickup screen is now in your fuel filter.

OP
OP
G

gfh77665

Reaction score
Looks like I need a special tool to remove the fuel filter.

Last edited: