random misfire '97 expy 290k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Picked the dielectric up today, One question, does anyone have a guess at which wire should go where on the plug wires, I want to get the right length one for the right plug. other than the obvious ones like the number one plug wire. there is a super long one I believe goes to two and then the wires get shorter from there.

I normally just do one wire at a time and match length but these autolite wires are not near the correct length. they even had two of the super long wires making me use one where it was way too long for where it went.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I managed to do something to make this easier tomorrow. I realized I could make a rut about 4-5 inches deep in the gravel driveway where I park. I turned both front wheels, backed up and dug it out with my feet then parked in it. the nose is much lower and easier to work in the hood.

Next post should be when the truck is running better, I hope..

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
alright, I got all the plugs out and got everything back together. only had a minor couple of hiccups. I will say, I reccommend you start at the number four after emptying every ounce of coolant from the system, shit kept coming out of the metal pipe above #4 even after emptying half of the coolant out. I gave up and dumped the rest and did a coolant flush and refill with fresh 50/50.. also, number four is the hardest to get to since the heater hoses need to be removed. start at the hardest to get and you will get stuck before you're in too deep.

the rest of the plugs came out no problem. the fuel rail wasn't in the way at all thanks to using a wobble extension just unhook the injector wires to keep those out of the way for the plug wires (4.6)

I used dielectric grease on all the plugs and even rubbed some on the exterior of the boots so I can get them out easier next time. number four almost didn't come out.. it even helped keep the socket from sticking to the plug when I retracted it after inserting each new plug.

Findings: I put a new set of autolite platnum plugs and autolite wires in 15k miles and 11 month ago the plugs claimed to be gapped correctly when I bought them but found them to be at .051 when I checked after removal. my motorcraft ones are at .054.
the wires looked okay except for two of them. the inside of the plug connector was corroded, likely from forgetting to use dielectric grease.

the plugs looked okay-ish just looks like I need a new set of valve seals or a new engine, depending on where the oil is coming from. the plugs in the picture below are arranged 5-6-7-8 1-2-3-4. I am not all that great yet when it comes looking at a plug and knowing how it's burning. this is only the third time I have pulled a set of plugs, please let me know if something needs to be addressede2eOE1D.jpg