Re-glue Window Clips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are a number of real old threads going but I thought why not start a new one today July 2, 2021.
I have a 1st Gen Expy. One clip (rear one) came loose on the drivers window. I have looked a lot into what is the best way to re-glue these things.
There are a lot of different success failure reports using many types of adhesives and procedures.
3M Channel and Sidelight Adhesive is the one I would most want to try but it costs about $40 CAD.
I tried JB Weld original.

What I am thinking is many of the different adhesives will in fact work IF THE SURFACE PREPARATION IS DONE CORRECTLY AND COMPLETELY. Not much wants to stick to silicone residue.

The silicone based adhesive that Ford used is extremely difficult to remove totally from inside the clip channel. I soaked the clip in acetone to no avail although I didn't soak it overnight). I soaked the clip in carb cleaner for an hour. Neither of these seemed to affect it whatsoever.

After cutting the old excess adhesive off, I used a narrow wheel on my angle grinder to take it down to bare metal inside the channel.
I cut and scraped the old stuff off of the glass, then sanded it rough with 60 grit. Some kind of primer (maybe pvc primer or something?) might help too?

Grinding the clip channel makes it fit the glass more loosely so I pinched it together with vicegrips, before fitting and gluing.
After filling the clip channel with adhesive, fastening it back onto the track with the nut, and positioning the glass into it... Roll the window up to the top leaving it for 24 hrs before testing. You can even go back after testing, and apply more adhesive to the clip and glass for added backup.

Here is a list of the glues/adhesives (what I can remember) that other people have used (success & failure) :

-JB Weld
-3M Channel and Sidelight Adhesive
-Polyurethane
-RTV Silicone
-Gorilla Glue (expanding type)
-

-Try to make sure adhesive doesn't drip into the regulator channel.
-Lubricate the vertical edge glass guides with graghite or lithium grease spray. Some guys think lubricant in the guides is the best preventative measure against future breakage.

-In the snowy country, make sure you don't try to lower the windows if they are iced shut!

Lubricate the regulator tracks etc. if necessary, with lithium grease or something more than WD40.

I will report my success/failure after a month or two.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Ford sells an epoxy kit for this purpose. It cost me $40. Worked like a charm. I'm sure there are other things that will work, but for me now the trial-and-error with other things wasn't worth the work or bother.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I forgot what was included in the kit. I may have had to scrape off the old glue and clean with alcohol or acetone. I reused the clip. It worked for at least three years, after which I sold the truck. You'll have to look up the price and availability; this was several years ago. Call Tasca Ford or a local dealer. They'll know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pics show:
#1 the sanding I did after cutting and scraping the OEM adhesive from the glass. I wiped it down with brakleen after sanding the glass, and grinding the clip channel clean.

The nut was a #11.

Attachments

• 20210702_115831.jpg
    20210702_115831.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210702_115125_HDR.jpg
    20210702_115125_HDR.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210702_115130_HDR.jpg
    20210702_115130_HDR.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210702_123759.jpg
    20210702_123759.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just filled the channel with the adhesive (JBWeld in this case) and set the clip in place on the regulator channel, did up the nut finger tight, pushed the window down into the clip channel while holding the clip and reg channel with the other hand. I could see where the clip lined up by the mark the nut had left behind before. When I had the clip nut tight with the clip where it should be I motored the window straight up to it's stop, for 24 hours.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I forgot what was included in the kit. I may have had to scrape off the old glue and clean with alcohol or acetone. I reused the clip. It worked for at least three years, after which I sold the truck. You'll have to look up the price and availability; this was several years ago. Call Tasca Ford or a local dealer. They'll know.
Thanks Trainmaster.
I think acetone moves silicone faster than alcohol but they both work. I suppose I should have used one of them to mop up but I just grabbed the closest thing at that point having already ground and sanded all of the residue off.

Some guys drill holes in the flat sides of the clips so adhesive will form pins when it pushes out; other guys say it's not necessary but no harm doing it. I didn't.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You'll probably be fine. Just remember not to press the down button when the thing's frozen shut with ice or snow. That's usually what starts this mess.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll probably be fine. Just remember not to press the down button when the thing's frozen shut with ice or snow. That's usually what starts this mess.
I think I mentioned that in my original post. That is probably the #1 reason for failure for sure.