Re-glue Window Clips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The window works fine. It was slow going up but I put lithium grease into the regulator wheel tracks. I spray lithium greased the pivots etc., and blew graphite powder into the vertical window guides but greasing the regulator tracks helped the most.
The old grease turns to glue!

jordonsimth

Reaction score
There are a number of real old threads going but I thought why not start a new one today July 2, 2021.
I have a 1st Gen Expy. One clip (rear one) came loose on the drivers window. I have looked a lot into what is the best way to re-glue these things.
There are a lot of different success failure reports using many types of adhesives and procedures.
3M Channel and Sidelight Adhesive is the one I would most want to try but it costs about $40 CAD.
I tried JB Weld original.

What I am thinking is many of the different adhesives will in fact work IF THE SURFACE PREPARATION IS DONE CORRECTLY AND COMPLETELY. Not much wants to stick to silicone residue.

The silicone based adhesive that Ford used is extremely difficult to remove totally from inside the clip channel. I soaked the clip in acetone to no avail although I didn't soak it overnight). I soaked the clip in carb cleaner for an hour. Neither of these seemed to affect it whatsoever.

After cutting the old excess adhesive off, I used a narrow wheel on my angle grinder to take it down to bare metal inside the channel.
I cut and scraped the old stuff off of the glass, then sanded it rough with 60 grit. Some kind of primer (maybe pvc primer or something?) might help too?

Grinding the clip channel makes it fit the glass more loosely so I pinched it together with vicegrips, before fitting and gluing.
After filling the clip channel with adhesive, fastening it back onto the track with the nut, and positioning the glass into it... Roll the window up to the top leaving it for 24 hrs before testing. You can even go back after testing, and apply more adhesive to the clip and glass for added backup.

Here is a list of the glues/adhesives (what I can remember) that other people have used (success & failure) :

-JB Weld
-3M Channel and Sidelight Adhesive
-Polyurethane
-RTV Silicone
-Gorilla Glue (expanding type)
-

-Try to make sure adhesive doesn't drip into the regulator channel.
-Lubricate the vertical edge glass guides with graghite or lithium grease spray. Some guys think lubricant in the guides is the best preventative measure against future breakage.

-In the snowy country, make sure you don't try to lower the windows if they are iced shut!

Lubricate the regulator tracks etc. if necessary, with lithium grease or something more than WD40.
I will report my success/failure after a month or two.
Did the kit come with a cleaner and a primer? Did you use new clips, or clean up the old ones?