Rear air suspension help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drduey01

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a 2012 ford expedition max limited , and every week or two the SUV says service air suspension.. if you let it sit for a day it goes away and works fine.. also i notices the pump seems to run a lot.. any help would be great... they guys at ford say there is nothing wrong.. i plugged in a scanner when it said service air suspension but no code came up..

SUV does not sag at all in rear

thanks

Dwayne

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's something wrong with the bags... ride height sensors or something... that causes the pump to activate again to keep the height where it's supposed to be

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

dmont

Reaction score
I have a 2007 and see this issue sometimes, usually only when I drive on rough road or hit significant bumps in the road. I believe it has more to do with the sensors on the rear axle being corroded and not providing accurate analog feedback to the air bag system controller when the sensor range is pushed beyond typical driving range. My expo lived most of its life in Utah, and was exposed to snow, salt, etc. With your Expo exposed to Ontario winters, that is what I would imagine is the culprit. I haven't messed with mine and will probably leave it until it becomes an issue.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i suspect a bad sensor &/or leak causing the pump to compensate. spray soapy water on your connectors, elbows, and t's.
my ole '97 had a bad seal on one of my fronts a few years ago and check suspension came on every couple weeks. replaced both.
also had a factory rear bag develop a crack needing a replacement. bought the rear bags and compressor from Arnot.
pump had a catastrophic failure as well, thus it just wore out.
none of my symptoms set a code.