Rear Air Suspension Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zach94

Reaction score
I've been wanting to lift my truck, your basic 3/2 lift like you see so many of, but I'd wanted to retain my air suspension. My truck is generally empty except for me; or it's loaded with my family, friends, and pulling my boat. So, the air suspension is nice to keep my truck comfortable and flexible.

I was only able to find a couple questions about lifting the rear air suspension, but never any conclusions on here. So, I decided to try myself.

I ordered a spacer kit, including the rear, in case I wanted to try using them, but for now my solution does not require spacers. I am simply installing longer ride height sensing links that force the leveling suspension into maintaining a higher ride height.

I purchased standard gas strut rod ends from McMaster Carr (PN 9416K86 $1.39ea), some 6mm all-thread, and 6mm jam nuts. by assembling the rod ends onto a section of the all-thread, I can make ride height sensors of any height that I'd like. You can also change the (rear) ride height in about 1min flat.

My stock links were about 4in long, and it works out that the lift height is about a 4:1 ratio. So, 2in higher means .5" longer links. I cut my all-thread to a length of about 3.75" (the ends add about .75"), installed the jam nuts, installed the rod ends (180deg offset), tightened the jam nuts against them...and they're done. Then all that needs to be done is to pop the old links off with a flat blade screwdriver, push the new ones on, and let the suspension reset.

I actually started with a 3" rear lift to make sure my 4:1 ratio was correct, and cut down after that, makes it really easy to tune the rake of the truck and try out a 3/2.5 or 3/2 or 3/1.5 lift.

As an additional note, make sure any time you remove the links and mess with the ride height sensors that you have the air suspension set to "OFF"

Last edited:

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
awesome info! was trying to figure this out myself. what kit did you go with? I got the rough country lift/leveling kit. with just the front spacers in, the front sits maybe 1/2 inch higher than rear. I want to level it. you said no spacers on rear. are the air bags maxed out? how much lift did you settle with on rear lift? thx for info!

OP
OP
Z

Zach94

Reaction score
I got a 3/2" lift off of ebay from belken.motorsports ($105 shipped). I have also installed the rear spacers now. Since the spacers I got flipped the mounting patterns 180deg I swapped the rear airbags side to side to keep the solenoid valves in basically the same spot. I also had to open up the mounting holes a little to provide clearance around the solenoids. Has been working great though.

I ended up with 2.5" lift in the back, and without the spacers I had about 2" down travel, so now I've got around 4".

For tires I went with 275/65/20 Hankook Dynapro ATm (measure just over 34").

Last edited:

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
awesome. looks good Zach. thx for sharing. I will try to get some pics of my ride up soon.

valenrandy

Reaction score
Zach, If you don't mind me asking. I'm also trying to do this mod and am wondering what you meant by "without the spacers I had about 2" down travel, so now I've got around 4".

How are the dynapro tires working out for you?

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zach94

Reaction score
Zach, If you don't mind me asking. I'm also trying to do this mod and am wondering what you meant by "without the spacers I had about 2" down travel, so now I've got around 4".

How are the dynapro tires working out for you?

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on here in a while. What I meant with the travel comment was that you could lift the truck by just altering the ride height sensor, but if you did that the shocks would be very close to fully extended. I think this would make the ride worse and could also damage the shocks over time. Installing the spacers doesn't gain you more height, but it returns the shocks to their stock position in their travel.

The dynapros have been great so far, not too aggressive so they're quiet and good in the snow.

booboo

Reaction score
Zach

Have you had any problems with alignment? I was told I shouldn't lift the front over 2". Can you post some photos?