Rear blower not blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milkman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2011 Expedition EL XLT and the rear air stopped blowing. When I press the button to turn the rear blower on, I hear a relay clicking in the back, but the blower doesn't spin at all. For this problem I assume it could be either the rear blower resistor (which I assume is in the rear) or the rear motor itself. Is one easier than the other to swap out than the other? Or do you have to remove the panel for either?

jalicea4

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2011 Expedition EL XLT and the rear air stopped blowing. When I press the button to turn the rear blower on, I hear a relay clicking in the back, but the blower doesn't spin at all. For this problem I assume it could be either the rear blower resistor (which I assume is in the rear) or the rear motor itself. Is one easier than the other to swap out than the other? Or do you have to remove the panel for either?
Did you check the fuse box?

OP
OP
M

Milkman

Reaction score
I just want to follow-up on this since I hate when people that start posts never follow up. It was the rear fan. I metered the connection to the fan and that made it pretty simple.

The EL Expedition is easier to remove the back panel enough to replace things like the fan and the blend doors in the back, because you don't need to take the front bolts out. Just remove the rear back trim pieces, and the bolt that goes into the rear floorboard (near the middle panel). Then you can cheat and pull it back far enough to just replace the fan.

UtahExp15

Reaction score
Great info - I have the same problem. My rear blower is going out - it dies intermittently, and I just picked up a new rear fan (genuine Motorcraft). I was wondering if I had to remove all of the trim pieces to replace it. The dealer quoted $800 to replace it, saying you have to pull all of the trim off (belts, roof trim, etc.).

If you had pics of anything, I'd love to see how you did it!