rear brakes not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2003 eddie bauer 4x4 5.4 litre...rear brakes are not working...replaced front calipers, caliper brackets, pads and rotors. I have replaced rear pads only...rear calipers and rotors are good. rear caliper pins and pistons move freely. there was minimal wear on rear pads when changed..no brake dust on rear wheels...that was a couple months ago....noticed front brakes and components wearing over the last couple of months significantly...excessive brake dust and overheating of front components...rear pads show no signs of wear since changed. I opened bleeder valve on rear caliper under pressure and only a trickle of fluid comes out... no obvious leaking at master cylinder, no loss of fluid from resevoir, no cracks/leaks in brake lines noticeable. pedal does not feel spongy just has a longer travel than other trucks/vehicles i drive or have driven...PLEASE HELP...master cylinder proportioning valve?...I did notice a black box that all brake lines go into and out of before heading to calipers...this is a black square plastic box that sits next to the radiatior on the drivers side below the air breather, about six x six inches. not sure what is wrong any advice appreciated... by the way no dash indicator lights showing..

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What color is the brake fluid that came out? The rear calipers could also be frozen if there is trash in the system.

B

bedrck46

Are 3 separate posts for the same problem really necessary you need to delete two of them

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
first time user learning to navigate forum thanks for your understanding and your patience is greatly appreciated...how bout some advice along with the criticizm...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
bedrck and I are both over 50 & lost our patience years ago. Welcome to the forum by the way. I'm going to look at the abs unit and get back to you.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the fuses for the abs first then establish whether you have flow to the abs unit. Easiest way to do that would be to crack the rear line on the master cylinder. Have a helper press the pedal - don't let air into the system, abs can trap the bubble.

B

bedrck46

if your getting advice from stamp then you are getting some of the best available so there is no need for me to repeat what he's giving but I will add by sending you a PM

Last edited by a moderator:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Don't the rear calipers adjust by cycling the e-brake? (Anyone, I can't remember )

Can you verify that rear caliper pistons aren't moving at all when the brake is applied?

Can you see if a brake line has been crushed or bent?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After re-reading the original post, excessive pedal travel usually indicates a worn master cylinder. Look up under the dash and see if there is any leakage on the brake pedal rod where it meets the master cylinder. I use that as a sign of aging.