Rear End Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, here's my question. I've never engaged 4 low or the ELSD. In theory, I'd shouldn't have a problem. Should I go out into the desert and engage both and see what happens? So if it blows up, it blows up? Or should I go with "let sleeping dogs lie"? This is a very odd situation.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, here's my question. I've never engaged 4 low or the ELSD. In theory, I'd shouldn't have a problem. Should I go out into the desert and engage both and see what happens? So if it blows up, it blows up? Or should I go with "let sleeping dogs lie"? This is a very odd situation.

I think there are a lot of times that the eLSD engages besides locker mode. I have a 2wd and it definitely engaged while I was playing in the mud.

I wish I knew which CAN message told the eLSD to engage. I could record in different situations to see how often it engages. The differential is on the HS1 CAN port and the 4x4 switch is on the HS2 CAN port. They are both available at the OBDII port.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I try to use the locker and the 4L once a month just to keep everything lubed and prevent actuators from sticking. Toyota has recommendations about this in the user manual.

jddotson

Reaction score
I have a 2019 4WD with 21,500 miles having the same issue. Rear differential binding while turning at slow speeds. It’s been in the shop for two weeks and so far Ford has authorized the dealer to do an oil analysis (first week) and today they were told to replace the HCU which will be shipped in next week. The service tech agrees with me and thinks it’s a problem with the clutch assembly but explained they can only perform the steps authorized by Ford. Process of elimination or paralysis by analysis ‍:favorites68:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 4WD with 21,500 miles having the same issue. Rear differential binding while turning at slow speeds. It’s been in the shop for two weeks and so far Ford has authorized the dealer to do an oil analysis (first week) and today they were told to replace the HCU which will be shipped in next week. The service tech agrees with me and thinks it’s a problem with the clutch assembly but explained they can only perform the steps authorized by Ford. Process of elimination or paralysis by analysis ‍:favorites68:

Did the dealer provide you with a comparable loaner vehicle since they cannot fix the vehicle in a timely manner?

OP
OP
O

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see how all this pans out. Hope it’s not wide spread. Of note, I used my 4Auto mode at least monthly on my hunting club, pulling my boat trailer up the ramp. Etc. also put it into 4 Lo monthly.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see how all this pans out. Hope it’s not wide spread. Of note, I used my 4Auto mode at least monthly on my hunting club, pulling my boat trailer up the ramp. Etc. also put it into 4 Lo monthly.

That has nothing to do with engaging the locker thats failing..... Using the locker could be good medicine, but its in oil, I wouldn't think it should sieze up.