rear entertainment system retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
Anyone tread these waters before? My search turned up nuttin'. I want to add the oem dvd rear entertainment system to my new-to-me '07. I'm a DIY kinda guy, and thus have been cruising ebay for used units to do this myself.

My questions are mostly regarding gaining access to the support bracket on top of the headliner while working around the side curtain airbags, and wiring the whole thing up. How much of the harness should I expect to find in my rig that was spec'd without the entertainment system? How would I get my mitts on any missing parts of the wiring harness?

If OEM is too much of a hassle (likely due to wiring issues) any input on adding a generic aftermarket system would be nice.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have radio controls on the rear of the center console, and the headunit that has the button to control the rear dvd sound distribution? If not, I would look aftermarket as the unit gets it's power from the head unit and is actually routed through the center console controls.
I would get a double din head unit that has GPS and DVD built in and just add headrest monitors or a rear overhead monitor. It won't cost much more, and may even be cheaper in the long run after you get all the missing components to make it work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
I do have the controls on the rear of the center console, but do not find any controls for the rear dvd on the head unit. I'd prefer to have one overhead monitor (knowing it will obstruct the rear view mirror when down) instead of 4 headrest monitors due to the cost.
The OEM dvd player can be had used on ebay for $150 roughly, but I'd still need to figure out the wiring and mounting.