Rear hatch moans when closing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kheidkamp

Reaction score
Anybody have this issue? When the outside temperature is over 75, my auto rear hatch will moan while closing. Is there a fix for that?

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hatch moans? Are you sure it's not either the A) Hinges B) Hydraulic Assist Cylinders C) mechanical lift arm?

I would start by lubing the hinges. But my money is on the lift struts being worn out. I have not seen a mechanical one fail but it's possible that is the noise you are hearing. My money is on the hydraulic assist struts.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1. I had a similar issues with my Mountaineer rear window and replacing the strut solved it. It lasted about 12 years before it gave out though.

yeah the new ones are not quite that good...I've only had mine 2 years and they are getting weak...like doesn't quite open all the way weak.

OP
OP
K

kheidkamp

Reaction score
The noise only happens when I use the auto close feature. If I close the door manually, it closes fine with no noise. It's coming from the motor or the linkage of the door closer. Anybody know if it can be lubricated?

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The noise only happens when I use the auto close feature. If I close the door manually, it closes fine with no noise. It's coming from the motor or the linkage of the door closer. Anybody know if it can be lubricated?

You can lubricate anything....yes I would try removing it lubing it up and putting it back on. If that doesn't work you will need to either replace the lift arm or disassemble and lube it then reassemble.

rad1978

Reaction score
I just fixed the same problem on my 07 expy it turned out to be the hydraulic lift arm (bout $120 on ebay) it's not to hard to replace u will need a T 50 torxs socket thou for the 3rd row seatbelt strap.
after that unbolt the rod at the top I think it's like 8mm socket, then just pop off the trim till you can pull back the side wall enough to get at the base of the rod it has a clip u squeeze and lift off then the rod just slides out.
It took me about 30 minutes onch I got all the T50 torx socket.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nameisbry