Rear Suspension question, need advice..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wingrg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 Ford Expedition EB 4x4 5.4L

Hi, can someone tell me how difficult is to change rear balljoints, is a DIY job or is better to get the truck to the workshop? mine is making a noise each time i pass a bump that sometimes want to sell the truck, sound like a older car or is someone can recommend a make for the balljoint im just reading about MOOG, any advice going to be appreciate.

Thanks!

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
Are you sure it's the ball joints? The knocking noise on mine was caused by the sway bar links which had failed. Much cheaper and maybe a little easier to change.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

wingrg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
uffff have to check those and those are easy to verify let me verify tomorrow first thing in the morning thanks!

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree about the sway bar links, rear sway bar is so thin you can just hit it with your palm near the link and see if it clicks.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if ur hearing the noise are u positive its the rear instead of front? well...u have an 03 so it is time to change them so I would say depending on ur bank account to change all of them if u can...if not...pick ur poison and pick whichever first but to change all regardless...maintenance

OP
OP
W

wingrg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, noise coming for the rear driver side, i was looking the workshop cd and appears to be a few days work in my case that only have time during the weekends, i found that is call cross chasis ball joint have to verify with local store like autozone or pepboys is they rent the tool to take out those babies out, use 2ea on each side have to change both at same time, don't know is need the press tool for sure. But not seems to be too expensive part i found on ebay Moog brand for 36.00 ea any idea is a good price?

Last edited:

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles are on it?

How did you verify it is in fact the ball joints?

Price seems fine I would also check with rockauto. When buying Moog parts you need to be careful because some of the part numbers will begin with C or R, these parts are much lower quality than the good Moog KXXXXX parts. If it begins with RK or CK I would avoid entirely.

OP
OP
W

wingrg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if i can post a sound clip this is posible? Just to let others to listen the noise. Thats info about quality is super interesting thanks for share

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem, if you can record a video or sound clip and put in on youtube then you can post a link to it in this thread.