Rear wiper and defroster not working 2007 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisgm

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2007 expedition and noticed that the rear wiper and rear defrost don't work at all. I checked the fuses, all good. Not sure where to start on this. The power lift gate works, rear window washer works, as does the release for the lift gate glass. Anyone else with this issue? Thanks.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In looking at the wiring diagrams there is a connector that is common to both the rear wiper and rear defrost. The connector is a 8 pin connector located in the rear center roof. It is possible that you may have lost the ground wire for both circuits

OP
OP
C

Chrisgm

Reaction score
Thanks for the info - any idea the best way to access this connector? Do you know exactly where it is located? This is my first Ford product in 16 years so I am unfamiliar with its wiring colours, etc - is the ground wire black?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normally the ground is black But the wire for this ground is BK/WH.

You would have to pull the headliner down a little to get to the connector.

If you have a volt/ohm meter You can check the rear window grid to see if it is getting voltage One lead of the meter to the Brown/White wire at the grid and one lead to a good ground connection. Turn the heater on and see if you have 12Volts If you do then the ground connection is bad. You can also check the ground wire Black/White to a good ground and using the ohm meter see if you have continuity.

One thing I do when checking for voltage is I will get a long wire and connect it to the battery ground and use that as one of the test leads for the meter. That way I know I have a good ground connection

OP
OP
C

Chrisgm

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. Sorry for late reply - life lol. So I have 12v coming into the passenger side lead on the glass, nothing on driver side - does this mean the lines in the glass are bad? Also, when I turn on the wiper i have 12v on that wire, and I can hear it click every couple seconds - motor bad maybe? Winter is getting closer - want to figure this out before then hopefully!

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The motor may just need some lubrication. As for the rear defrost, inspect the line for breaks. Or better yet if there is an aftermarket one, install that instead.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off DO NOT pay attention to the above advice from docraymund.

Being you have 12 volts on the passenger side and 0 volts on the drivers side That could be a normal reading.
Since I am not sure how you got those voltage readings, I need to know if the leads on the grid were connected to or disconnected from the grid? Of if one lead was connected and another lead disconnected.

Lets solve this problem first then we will move on to the wiper problem.

OP
OP
C

Chrisgm

Reaction score
I have 12v when the positive lead is on the passenger side tab, with the leads connected to the grid, negative to a ground (bolt on the tailgate lol). Drivers side nothing. Should I be getting a reading off the grid itself? Thanks.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Speaking of defrost not working, how do u guys go about sticking the wire tabs back to the glass on the tailgate for the defrost? One of mine is just dangling loose I'm not sure do I krazy glue it back on or what....

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnect the NEG lead on the grid. Then connect your volt meter to the tab that the NEG lead was connected too. Then connect your volt meter to the NEG lead, in other words place the volt meter in series with the NEG lead and the tab. Turn the defogger on and you should get 12v