rearend problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dan1a1984

Reaction score
I have a 2004 EXP 2WD with 50k miles. Just wondering if any one has a problems with a rearend. I just got my back from Ford. they had to replace the ring and pinion. When accelerating you would hear a winding noise coming from the back. Thank God for warranties.

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like it was just a lemon. Rear ends are pretty standard, lo-tech systems and shouldn't ever have problems if they are set up right at the factory. Yeah, it's good you had a warranty.

OP
OP
D

dan1a1984

Reaction score
I have been doing some research and have found that alot of guys with f150's have seen this problem. TSB 05-23-03 bad pinion, ring, and bearings.

jjgi5150

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

My wife's '04 4x4 5.4 had the rear end whine, very badly..at only 17K miles. We had to have the rear gears replaced, under warranty, and have had no problems yet, with now about 28K on the odometer.

JJ

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 03 had diff problems. Front Diff had to be rebuilt due to the cluch pack slipping. You could feel it during hard accelerated turns. The rear had to be replaced twice due to the whine. It semed to be right around 10,000 miles. So far the 05 has been good to me.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah my clutch pack in my rear diff is doing the binding and popping. Will rebuild it when the weather stays warm for a little while....

Matt R

Tech

Reaction score
Hmmmm.... My front end has been a little windy... I thought I need to replace the wheel hubs.. I got 85k on mine. I hope I don't need to have work done to my diffs. :(