Regular vs Max - Driveability vs Capacity???

Regular vs Max

• Regular

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Max

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie Lohr

Reaction score
The title says it. I am currently in the market for a 2019 Expedition and can't decide between a regular and max. I am mainly concerned about the driveability vs capacity.

We are a family of four with a four year old and a one year old now. We go camping a lot as well as out of town trips and occasionally have out of town guest and will use the eights seats for around town trips.

From what I can tell the turning radius of the max is only slightly worse then the regular and the max is only a foot longer.

Any real word experience or just informed opinions? Thank you!

Highlightreel

Reaction score
I had a 2009 Suburban until June here where I switched down to a regular Expedition. We took a trip and it worked fine but the cargo space behind the 3rd row is very limited compared to my suburban. The regular length Expy is bigger behind the 3rd row compared to current GM models but still about a foot less depth compared to my suburban and it's immediately obvious. It still will work for my 2 kids but I sort of internally regretted getting the smaller version. I will miss being able to toss rock salt bags, Costco purchases, luggage, etc. in there without folding down the 3rd row.

Clearly I was used to driving a tank, but I do not really notice the Expedition 'driving' any smaller than the Suburban either. It's extremely fast compared to the Suburban but they were both manageable.

This vehicle drives very easy, is so smooth, is peppy, and handles great.

My 2 cents is to get the Max. Hands down. Max all the way. Especially with your kids.

William Miller

Reaction score
Drove the Max as a loaner from my dealer for 12 days on vacation with my wife and two daughters. LOVED the extra room and with the use of the 360 cameras I was able to maneuver it into and out of tight spots very well.

Unfortunately it would not fit in my garage; too long! That would be a deal killer for me.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not think turning radius will be an issue since they turn fairly tightly, especially if it is a two wheel drive. Capacity is the main difference. You will be hard pressed to put more than one large and three small suitcases or if doing a lot of shopping in the standard version if using all the seats.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We are a family of four with a four year old and a one year old now
Uhh.... Are you done yet? Or are you just going to lease the thing for a couple of years and re-evaluate? There's a big difference between where you are now and an 8 year old, a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a newborn...

Plati

Reaction score
I have a 2003XLT and 2014EL. The extra length is very nice to have and just adds a bit of more effort parking or on a U Turn. I camp and live in the EL at times and would not want the XLT size for that, which I have done in the past. If you are going way off road driving the XLT is better just easier to negotiate tight turns and stuff.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what is the family vehicle currently?

We brought our 2nd kid home in a 4-door Civic. We tripled our interior space when we upgraded to a Ford Escape and it was more than sufficient. Don't tell the Ford marketing people, but if they went nuts and priced the two lengths identically, I'd still get the shorty. Its cavernous enough.

IMO the $2600 price difference would be better applied elsewhere, like rear seat entertainment, or some safety stuff. Something that would be realized 90% of the time versus 10% of it.

If you haven't driven both, I'd highly recommend each for a day or two. With a garage test as suggested by Mr Miller above.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately it would not fit in my garage; too long! That would be a deal killer for me.

Max fits in my garage but I couldn’t open the rear gate without opening the garage door, this was a big deal for our decision.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is gonna be a tough call for me. I got the regular and while there have been a couple times I wish I had that extra 10 inches of space it’s only been a few times and I still made it work. We camp as well and the longer model had me concerned when it came to off pavement driving regarding turning around in tight places and getting in and out of tighter campsites or tougher driving terrain. As I saw it there was always the roof if I really needed the extra space and I didn’t have to carry around the extra foot of length all the time regardless if fun was using it or not. However, if you often drive with people in the 3rd row with gear then I say get the max.

Last edited:

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I came from a S-Crew F150 and the Max is a touch shorter, so I wasn't worried about the length. That being said, the turning radius of my Max is a lot better than my F150.

I really like the additional space behind the third row. It is nice to be able to use the cargo area and still have the option to throw the third row up and use it for people. I don't always have the luxury of planning ahead when I'll have a full boat, and if you have more than a small item or two in the vehicle, putting up the third row without advance notice is not always an option. My captains chairs usually have kids seats strapped to them...with the larger cargo area I can unhook both kids seats and load them in the cargo area and take 7 adults...without that extra space that just wouldn't be an option as I'd have nowhere to stow the kids seats.