Regular vs Max - Driveability vs Capacity???

Regular vs Max

• Regular

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Max

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tested a max before i bought mine. The brakes are better in the max, handling is about the same and the ride is slightly more firm on the base springs. It seems the ccd max models ride waaay better than the swb ccd models. They both feel big but very maneuverable. The extra space is probably very convenient when needed as well as the further driving range. Since its only you 4, the swb is more than enough. My wife rele doesn't want me to get a max(why i didnt get one before) but its worth the 3k charge.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regular Expedition has no trunk behind 3rd row. If you only have two children, and never use the 3rd row, you'll be more than fine. We have four children, and the third row is always in use. Without the MAX, we'd have no trunk. I can't imagine you needing the MAX version with just two kids. I think you'll be fine with the regular Expy.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from a standard length to an EL, I notice zero difference in driving or parking maneuvers at all. I was surprised but it really is no different so don’t worry about that.

I’m young, I just use the truck for hauling the boat around and a tool wagon. The 3 rows come in handy when I have a lot of people to move lol. The reason I went with the EL was for fitting 8’ items and being able to close the lift gate. The nice thing about the Expeditions is they drop value faster than a comparable F-150 and you get way more useable interior space plus a more comfortable package. Looks better to me as well, that’s why I’ve never done the pickup deal.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an EL, which is the prior model equivalent of the Max. If you use the third row frequently, the Max is a must. We travel for softball and trailer...the extra length comes in handy for road trips, as well as handling our trailer. It's the largest vehicle my wife and I have ever owned, and we haven't had any issues with driveability. Living in Texas helps, but it has overall been a very smooth adjustment.

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another vote for the Max. We tow a trailer, have no children but do travel with 3 small animals. Can't imagine having enough room for them and their "stuff" (along with our stuff) in the regular length. And, as someone else mentioned, the under floor storage in the Max is quite handy--I carry a small air pump, a few big wrenches and other stuff in it. Even if we didn't tow, I would have bought the Max for the times I need to carry lumber, etc. that is 8 feet long without having to try to fit it in and hang over the front seats or out the back. And it is SO nice to be able to lay a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, foam insulation board, etc. completely flat with the tailgate closed. Practically none of my friends with pickup trucks can even do that trick! Of course, those are my needs and uses; if you never haul that sort of stuff, doesn't make much difference I suppose.

WJD_xlt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A somewhat different perspective, however before we took home our Max, we had a 2014 odyssey. It was spacious when it would be my wife and our 3 kids (10/9/6). However road trips were somewhat tight when bringing along luggage.

I kept that in mind when deciding between the regular vs Max. If I wasn’t in a Max, I wouldn’t have made the switch.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We also came from a crew cab F-150 and outgrew it. We regularly transport three grandchildren (4, 3, 1.5) and they each have a bulky, heavy car seat with two of them in the third row. Moving those car seats in and out wasn't something we wanted to do. With their car seats in place, the third row seat can stay up and we have plenty of room for cargo. Surprising how fast we can fill up the back on a trip to Costco or Sams and there's just two of us. As far as the extra space goes, we figured it'd be better to have it and not always need it than to need it but not have it. Parking has been no issue other than me becoming familiar with the rounder hood contours and learning how to center it in a parking space.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know what it is, but I find backing up into parking spaces easier with the long wheelbase than with my last regular expy. I think it’s more predictable and isn’t as jerky in response to steering inputs with the extra length between wheels. Both are great trucks and they are more similar than different to be honest. Test drive, only way to figure out which is for you.