remote starter systems.....again!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69charged

Reaction score
hello all. new expy owner. just bought an 08 max limited in pearl white. liking it so far, coming from an 07 Yukon xl. I find it more solid feeling and no rattles inside!!!
anyway, I have been reading all I can about remote starters, and used to install them MANY moons ago. everything is so different now, so I am looking for advice. I know that I want one key fob. pet peeve of mine is having a pile of stuff hanging off my key ring.
also, I want to keep the buttons to open the rear hatch while I'm walking up to the vehicle.
having said that, I have been looking at a few systems such as the crimestopper that can be used with my factory remote. I was looking at a 2 way from viper. if anyone has this system, can you open the rear hatch with it? also looking at the one that you can use your phone with. not sure I need something that high tech.
I checked out some factory ford systems, but need another fob. I have not gotten clarification that I can use one of their higher end systems that would totally replace my current fob, but do all the functions I want.
I don't care about the alarm part of vipers, or any other alarm system.
a really nice feature I liked about my Yukon was when it was below -10 degrees, it would automatically turn on my heated seats. does any of them do that, or the factory one?

I know that's a lot of questions for a new guy, but I cant really find ALL the answers I'm looking for. and the ford dealer sure cant tell me.

thanks
Clarence

bowtex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I prefer the viper system I will be getting the 5906v installed on my 05 very soon. It has accessories that will allow it to pop the rear hatch and control alot of other options if they are available on your vehicle. The one down side to the viper is the price with install and if you do it yourself it voids all warranties.

OP
OP

69charged

Reaction score
that's the answer I cant find. I don't need relays for the rear hatch. mine is power, and I need the signal from an aftermarket remote to open it. I'm sure a viper system can be programmed as I see some of them have an aux button. so that's what I was wondering.
what kind of price were you given? mind you I'm in Canada so the price will be three times as much!!!
the factory one is not a whole lot of money, and the more I read, the more I find out that it should be plug and play, but I'm left with 2 fobs.
the crimestopper one looks ok, but I will have to install it myself, and is no where near PnP.
I have been looking at viper ones, but I'm REALLY picky about how wiring is done in my vehicles. so I have to find an installer who will take the time to solder everything, and not make it look like a hack job.
thanks for the replies
clarence

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Viper LE 4806V system here. Its a 2-way auto start, not a security system. It has an AUX button can be configured to do about anything you want -- open/close rear power hatch, the moonroof, your heated/cooled seats, turning on rear window defroster, nearly anything electrical via relays is possible. Mine opens and closes the power hatch just like the OEM fob does, the only function I lost was the ability to pop the rear glass via remote, which wasn't an issue for me. The Viper remote completely replaces your OEM fob, so no carrying multiple devices, but your OEM fob still works 100%. My Expedition is Colorado red, so I also picked up a bright red Viper remote control to match. It does have something called "Temp Check Technology" but mine doesn't arbitrarily turn on heated or cooled seats -- maybe it can, I'm not sure. Maybe it turns on heat or AC, not sure.

The range on this thing is insane. Its a 2-way system and works a little over a mile away here on the flat open plains. Literally over a mile.

Viper also makes a cell phone interface module for this system. Rather expensive from what I recall and a monthly service fee ($10?) convinced me I don't need or want it. And the service was via some other 3rd party company that wanted a year commitment or something. Seemed fishy, have enough personal info out there as it is - last thing I need is a hacker or virus unlocking my car doors.

For the Ford PATS or chipped key security technology, I have a DBALL2 box that they also installed. DBALL and Viper (and Autostart, Clifford, Astro Start, Automate, Python and Avital) are ALL owned/made by Directed Electronics. I am fairly sure Directed makes components for Ford, so nothing really to gain by going to the dealership. Compustar is another brand I'd look at if I had to do it all over again, but am completely satisfied with the Viper.

I don't think there is much plug & play with this system - lots of wires. Install took them a few hours, like a full afternoon at Best Buy. I think it was about $500 USD maybe 2 years ago.