Removed my 08 expy roof rails today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edmund K

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and have been searching for any other brave soul who had removed the roof rails from their 07-up expy. Got tired of sitting at the computer and went outside with my tools!
The front and rear clips are the only parts that anchor the rails down with removable torx screws. the middle post attaches to a pair of torx screws by "hooking" into the base clip.
I've posted pics in my gallery in the album section, as I wasn't sure if I could post pics here on the thread yet ( being a new guy and all).
I applied silicone to the under sides of the torx screws and re set them in the roof. The rounded tops of the screws are not too noticeable, but of course that's the one thing my eye catches when I look!
Overall, I prefer the rail-less look , but I'm also considering plasti-dipping the chrome rails and seeing how that looks. The rail bars are just too tall for my liking, and maybe toning down the chrome would help them recede into the roof line better.
Anyway, thanks for such a great site, and happy motoring!

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 588

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good. I had to remove mine so i could fit in the garage before i lowered it. And I love the color of your Expy.

Victor

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to find someone local that doesn't want their chrome rails. I like them better then the black rails on mine.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always wanted to remove the rails.. But in my case..

It's been a life saver many times, knocking away the height signs in parking structures when I KNOW I can squeeze in :)
:head3:

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little off topic here but, do any of you that have removed their roof rails have the cross bars they would be willing to part with?

My 2008 did not come with them and I am playing with the idea of mounting a low profile exterior warning bar (Whelen Dominator) to a cross bar.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Marc

OP
OP
Edmund K

Edmund K

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! This morning I broke out the plasti dip spray and tried the rails on in black. I wish I could find a pair of roof rails that come on the Funkmaster Flex addition; they're low profile, but also cover up the screws sticking out of the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 213
OP
OP
Edmund K

Edmund K

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know; I still think it looks better without any rails. That's the fun of modding, right?

RockyF150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have roof rails for fmf. I took mine off. I prefer the lower profile of none. However I'm not looking to sell. I try to keep all factory hardware to take back to stock if ever necessary.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little off topic here but, do any of you that have removed their roof rails have the cross bars they would be willing to part with?

My 2008 did not come with them and I am playing with the idea of mounting a low profile exterior warning bar (Whelen Dominator) to a cross bar.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Marc

Neither did mine. I found these:

New 2007 2012 Ford Expedition Roof Rack Cross Bars Kit Pair Fits Navigator | eBay

Guess I should have snagged a pair when they were $80.

OP
OP
Edmund K

Edmund K

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Rocky, what number is your FMF? I had #201. Loved driving it, but my wife got too unnerved by people coming up (and sometimes climbing in!) to check out the truck. We compromised and got the copper metallic, as it was a rare color for this area and included a two-toned leather interior

Last edited: