Removing air intake piece on 06 model

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevdawg

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding any instruction on how to remove the intake on my model/year.

Can anyone help explain how to remove this portion?

zxBX5uY.jpg

I am able to remove the other end from the air box just fine but can't figure how how to best detach this from the black plate it's connected to underneath it.

Another view of the connection to the black plate from below:

PTII9zQ.jpg

Thanks!

Note: We are having intermittent acceleration problems and just want to check inside here to be sure there aren't leaves or something stuck inside. Also, we're getting ready to do the gott's mod, but need to figure out what is causing the acceleration problem.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it just pops in. It like a friction fitting. It should be able to lift straight out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It pulls out from the fender, and pops up to disengage the rubber grommets.

kawi_200

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It pulls out from the fender, and pops up to disengage the rubber grommets.

Exactly what I was going to say. It was very easy to pull up for me. I took it out of the throttle body area then lifted straight up.

OP
OP
K

kevdawg

Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the replies and then confirmations.

I will try it again with less worry of breaking anything.

EDIT: I did try it again and it worked great! Thanks!

Last edited:

booksix

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I recently picked up an '05 and was curious what this big part of the intake tube is (considering the filter seems to be the front load square one downstream from this). Also, is there anything that would prevent me from removing/relocating this part of the intake tube? I'd like to try and fit a second battery in this location.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I think it is part of an "Air Silencer"... any aftermarket (K&N) filter kit ditches it usually. take it off and start the truck... you'll hear the rush of air entering the engine.

booksix

Reaction score
Thanks, I figured this was the case! Now I just need to figure out how to route the intake around a battery and still get outside the main engine compartment! :p

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
You don't need to route it outside of the engine compartment. The cooler air does help with power however. For example, this K&N kit replaces everything but sticks the filter in the open air of the engine compartment:

upload_2016-11-22_13-34-59.png

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On thing to consider is with the MAF (Mas air flow sensor) it is very particular to airflow if you take out the filter in the box and look inside you will see that on the underside of the top of the box there is a formed scoop and the MAF slips into the side of that any alteration to that scoop or changing how the airflows over the MAF will create a rough engine or engine that will not stay running. I have ran the stock and after market boxes and besides a throatier sound you will not see any advantage from a stock motor set up. Do you research before you purchase you will get more out of exhaust (again on a STOCK motor)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluesharktooth26