Replace steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjenkse

Reaction score
The steering wheel in my wife's 1999 Expedition is loose. Looks like the bearings in the upper steering column are shot so I need to replace the whole thing. I'll be playing this by ear, my book has no procecures for this. Anything I need to watch for? Also, when I put things back together, what should I torque fasteners like the pinch bolt to? Any info is really welcome. Thanks in advance.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All four support nuts are 10-12 ft/lbs
Steering column shaft bolt is 30-40 ft/lbs.

Haven't had mine out but did lower it for the heater core. It does have some weight to it. Be careful of the airbag while working on it.

F1vel66a

Reaction score
Also make sure you disconnect the shift cable prior to dropping it. That's a $50 oops if it by chance cracks the hard plastic

OP
OP
T

tjenkse

Reaction score
Thanks to stamp11127 and F1vel66a for your helpful replies. I put off this job until the truck became undriveable. Turns out I didn't have to replace the whole column. There's 2 tilt-wheel pivot bolts on either side of the ignition lock cylinder housing, remove those and then take the housing off the steering column. The 2 bearings press fit into the housing. The bearings had disintegrated. The only thing left was the outer races. The steering shaft was still useable, but the housing was chewed up. I replaced the houising and bearings and everything is fine. Agein, thanks for your help.