replaced steering box - steering backwards now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodrow

Reaction score
Hello,

I just replaced my steering box and pitman arm. I had the wobble of death and narrowed it down to the steering box. I can tell that the play I had in the wheels is gone, but now when I turn left the damn wheels go right. It was a very interesting test drive. I have rebuilt engines and done all my own vehicle repairs, but first time I replace a gear box. The guy at the auto parts said the box was centered so centered the wheels and put it all back together. I wanted to get some feedback on what I was going to try next. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. Disconnect the link from the steering wheel to the steering box then turn the wheels all the way to the right. Seem in my head that this will fix it.
2001 ford expedition with 4 wheel drive and a 5.4 engine.
Thanks.

OP
OP
W

woodrow

Reaction score
I looked at that and the lines are formed in a way that they only reach and be snaked one way. I will double check that again. Thanks.

OP
OP
W

woodrow

Reaction score
PS hoses image

I checked the hoses and attached a picture. They seem to go where they are supposed to. Some one else said I had the pitman arm 180 off, but it again was installed as it was taken off. The arm points to the driver and attaches to the steering linkage behind the steering box. Also, didn't touch the PS pump.

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 522

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you were to hook the hoses up wrong then nothing would happen as the pump is directional in flow. But if the pitman arm is 180 degrees out on reinstallation, then you would be opposite direction steering. But on these applications, that would have to be impossible with the steering linkage is on the inside of the crossmember and would not allow you to do a 180 degree out in the wrong direction. I would be looking to see if the pump you have is deffective or wrong pump. And by the way, the hoses are correct based on your after pic of location.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

woodrow

Reaction score
I agree, has to be the wrong box. lying there staring at it for a bit, can't see what else it could be. I agree with the PS, since it also does it with the truck not running. Same with the pitman arm, there is nothing to attach to if it is 180 off. Thanks.

OP
OP
W

woodrow

Reaction score
I got it from advance auto parts. Talked to them again and got another guy that seems to know what he is talking about and very helpful. He said it could be another part and is getting one. I am taking the one I bought back to compare against the other one he has. if the pitman arm spline turns in the opposite direction, then I know I got the wrong part. I was thinking again about the 180 off, and once I got the box off I put it in a vice and see if I could turn the pitman spline 180 and I was not able, only turns a little each way. Which I guess makes sense since there are not that many teeth on the rack block. So went and checked out the part at auto parts and turned out they initially gave me the wrong one. Both parts were identical, 32 splines, but turned in opposite directions. go figure! Got it all together and looking to go for a test drive. Thanks for the help.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like that could be a fun test drive or maybe scary.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker