Replacement Bulbs - Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would check the headlight alignment. Its pretty common for oem to be adjusted lower than they should for optimum performance. Measure the height from the center of your headlight lense(center of projector, or bulb tip) to the ground. Turn the lights on pointed at a garage door from 25' away. Your cutoff(top edge of the light on the wall) should be 2.5-3" lower than the measurement you took. If its lower, bring it up within 2.5-3". That will usually make a big difference depending on how low they were
Even after I installed the HIDs I still had to raise the headlights up significantly from where they were from the factory.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Even after I installed the HIDs I still had to raise the headlights up significantly from where they were from the factory.
Did you measure them to check the alignment? Just curious how low they were. Unfortunately it's a very common for for all manufacturers (not as common with high end cars) to be way low out of the factory

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you measure them to check the alignment? Just curious how low they were. Unfortunately it's a very common for for all manufacturers (not as common with high end cars) to be way low out of the factory
I can't say for sure because the first adjustment the dealer did and they just raised them and later asked me if it was better. Before the dealer touched them, from the driver's seat the cutoff line was about 15' in front of the truck. Nothing was projected beyond that. It was like they were pointed all the way down at the ground.

OP
OP
K

Kurtyg2020

Reaction score
There are a lot of threads on here about this. You are about to get a lot of advice. I tried LEDs but could not find one that satisfied me in terms of the distance the light was projected. I opted for 35W 5000K (color temp) HIDs. I bought mine from XenonHIDs.com I went with these: https://www.xenonhids.com/35w-ac-canbus-ballast-hid-kit.html
They work very well in the factory projectors. You have to use the 9005/HB3 bulbs in the 15, 16, 17 what's in the manual in incorrect.

Andy, do you get the warning cancellers/capacitors and relay harness? Also where they plug and play type of deal. I was looking at the ones your purchased or the LED ones on the same site. I haven't messed with my alignment, but I think that it is pretty close to being correct.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The key is to not use led. They dont project like and hid or halogen and lack width. Plus to top it off they don't belong in a reflector housing or a projector that were not designed for them. Lumens wont give you more distance or width it'll give you a brighter foreground causing your pupils to dilate more and that's not what you want for night time driving.

Are we really gonna do this again???????????????

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy, do you get the warning cancellers/capacitors and relay harness? Also where they plug and play type of deal. I was looking at the ones your purchased or the LED ones on the same site. I haven't messed with my alignment, but I think that it is pretty close to being correct.
I didn't get the cancellers/capacitors and have no problems with flickering, and I don't have any bulb out warnings. For our trucks we don't need them.