Retrofitted Bi-Xenons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After a month-long wait while I was out of town, I returned to my completed retrofits
They use the factory Ford (OSRAM) HID projector, bulb, and ballast out of an Explorer, along with the fancy lens out of the Taurus. The paint is a mix of my original Ruby Red Metallic, gloss black, and Magnetic. Also added LEDs to the amber strip to light it up. I originally had issues with flickering because the truck was saying the headlight circuits were grounded to short, but thanks to FORScan, I was able to turn off that DTC circuit and they work great now. No CANBUS harness, resistors, or relays needed.IMG_0641.JPG IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0643.JPG IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Did they do any tuning to the projectors? Just curious because the output shots I've seen in the explorer haven't impressed me. Whats the deal with the original high beam socket? Did they supply a splitter or anything to allow that to still be use or is it just dead?

OP
OP
AllBoostNoEco

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, he just left the projectors as they came. The output isn't as good as the Mini-D2S square projectors in my last retrofit, but they were a bolt-in, and a vast improvement over the halogen reflectors I had before. He also added quick-connects for the inputs, so I can upgrade the ballasts and bulbs if I want.
The factory high beam is still fully functional. I had him leave it in place due to potential legality issues when I move again. He did paint the bucket black at my request, so it's basically cosmetic at this point though.

I'm strongly considering getting another set made for my wife's, but utilizing the dual LED projectors from a Super Duty.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
No, he just left the projectors as they came. The output isn't as good as the Mini-D2S square projectors in my last retrofit, but they were a bolt-in, and a vast improvement over the halogen reflectors I had before. He also added quick-connects for the inputs, so I can upgrade the ballasts and bulbs if I want.
The factory high beam is still fully functional. I had him leave it in place due to potential legality issues when I move again. He did paint the bucket black at my request, so it's basically cosmetic at this point though.

I'm strongly considering getting another set made for my wife's, but utilizing the dual LED projectors from a Super Duty.
I assumed you had the oem projector headlights so yeah these would definitely be an improvement.
Who did the work of you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
AllBoostNoEco

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, that was part of the appeal. He sourced the projector housing pieces himself. All he reused was my factory lens.
He's just a local guy who does them for fun in his spare time.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Gotcha

I also enjoy doing retros. This was my first on my 07 El. These are morimoto MH1 6.0 and I've since upgraded to the 7.0. Just a basic retro but I'm gathering parts for another now. going all oem and some fancy led stuff

20151028_195913.jpg

20151101_140525.jpg

20151101_145308.jpg

20151101_145559.jpg

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gixer, can you explain to a newb what the advantage is going from the 6.0 to 7.0? Are they designed better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65