Roaring Noise...ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knockonwood

Reaction score
I have a 2012 FWD Expedition EL with about 150k miles. I just bought it used. I noticed a roaring noise from the front left wheel area. It becomes noticeable about 15mph until road noise drowns it out at about 50mph. Sounds like wheel bearing, but had the whole wheel hub replaced and still does it. Thought it was brakes needing adjustment, but the sound is unchanged by application of brakes. I can hear it on dirt road and gravel road so it's not tire noise.
It's definitely a rotational noise that is constant with a rhythm to it. Like I said, sounds like brake rotor or wheel bearing, but I believe I've ruled that out.
I'm thinking now it may be something in the front axle. I've lifted the front wheels and turned by hand and I can't hear or feel anything. Of course I can't really turn the wheel that fast as there's a decent amount of friction from FWD.
You can hear it best inside the cab. It's harder to hear through the open window.
I've had it to my normal mechanic and he doesn't hear anything. I took it to the dealership and they threw parts at it to the tune of $1,900. Still makes the noise and the tech now says "brake noise." But pressing the brake pedal doesn't affect the sound, so I doubt that's the issue.
Any ideas out there?

Reaction score
I have a lot of experience (even worked my way through university selling cars = only 3 weeks @ a Ford dealer though = long story) Chances are this is not your problem . . .
(yet maybe)
Dad bought an off lease '93 Mystique w/ 40k - washed it myself w/ 3 hp pressure washer
cold brakes (road salt) AL wheels would get "the treatment" off the car if we really cared
about shininess means going easy on the rotors YET all kinds of rust comes out of the middle
yikes ! look @ consumer reports = black mark that year for brakes (other years fine) notify Ford & NHTSA etc. / order amazingly cheap Brembo China rotors off eBay ~ they could have
been dangerous yet no recall I know of = must have been faulty (recycled) batch of rotors.

I remember seeing a lot more of wheel balancing ON THE VEHICLE in the past ~ kinda doubt
your friendly dealer performed this => what I think could have happened is previous owner blasted hot rotors in a self serve carwash ~ under cursory exam they look fine ~ left one is
missing an internal bit that cracked off and disappeared => So the rotor is unbalanced ? ? ?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2012 FWD Expedition EL with about 150k miles. I just bought it used. I noticed a roaring noise from the front left wheel area. It becomes noticeable about 15mph until road noise drowns it out at about 50mph. Sounds like wheel bearing, but had the whole wheel hub replaced and still does it. Thought it was brakes needing adjustment, but the sound is unchanged by application of brakes. I can hear it on dirt road and gravel road so it's not tire noise.
It's definitely a rotational noise that is constant with a rhythm to it. Like I said, sounds like brake rotor or wheel bearing, but I believe I've ruled that out.
I'm thinking now it may be something in the front axle. I've lifted the front wheels and turned by hand and I can't hear or feel anything. Of course I can't really turn the wheel that fast as there's a decent amount of friction from FWD.
You can hear it best inside the cab. It's harder to hear through the open window.
I've had it to my normal mechanic and he doesn't hear anything. I took it to the dealership and they threw parts at it to the tune of $1,900. Still makes the noise and the tech now says "brake noise." But pressing the brake pedal doesn't affect the sound, so I doubt that's the issue.
Any ideas out there?
Your front wheel hubs should be disengaging when in 2WD mode. When it is up in the air, you should be able to turn the front wheels without the front axles and driveshaft turning. Is that the case?

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your front wheel hubs should be disengaging when in 2WD mode. When it is up in the air, you should be able to turn the front wheels without the front axles and driveshaft turning. Is that the case?

When it's up in the air and the engine is on, you should be able to turn the front wheels without the front axles and driveshaft turning.

The front hubs will only disengage when there is vacuum present, meaning the engine needs to be running.

Reaction score
Also, if only to justify getting another (perhaps even higher quality) floor jack ~ eliminating
easy to diagnose causes first can save your hairstyle. Say you have a faulty tire (steel belt
separation) swapping front tires would move the noise you are sensitized to. Never trust your safety to a jack ~ never use concrete blocks as jack stands ~ I use multiple stands,
huge robust woodblocks ~ I local thief died trying to steal a Prius' catalytic converter ~ yeah, his concrete block failed him . . .

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a roaring noise coming from the driver's side a few months ago. Replaced the hub and noise was still there. I thought maybe it was my all terrain tires, so went for an alignment. Turned out, it was the passenger side hub that was bad. Replaced it and the noise went away. I have no clue why it sounded so much like the driver side was making the noise, but get your passenger hub checked as well. If you hear the pitch change when turning, it's likely the other wheel hub.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
NOTE: Replacing suspension/brake/wheel parts for wear and tear with miles on it? Replace in pairs. While you got the tools out, peace of mind, safer and the second one takes half the time if you do it right then.
Don't put a price on your time and safety.

OP
OP
K

knockonwood

Reaction score
It
It turns the axle, seems to be locked in at the hub. Ford Mechanic guys were vague about this, but indicated that it was "probably normal" that the transfer case was "probably not engaged". And it doesn't feel like 4wd when driving, so they may be right about that.

OP
OP
K

knockonwood

Reaction score
I had a roaring noise coming from the driver's side a few months ago. Replaced the hub and noise was still there. I thought maybe it was my all terrain tires, so went for an alignment. Turned out, it was the passenger side hub that was bad. Replaced it and the noise went away. I have no clue why it sounded so much like the driver side was making the noise, but get your passenger hub checked as well. If you hear the pitch change when turning, it's likely the other wheel hub.
I actually had both hubs changed already.

OP
OP
K

knockonwood

Reaction score
NOTE: Replacing suspension/brake/wheel parts for wear and tear with miles on it? Replace in pairs. While you got the tools out, peace of mind, safer and the second one takes half the time if you do it right then.
Don't put a price on your time and safety.
Yep, both hubs and both sides IWE were replaced.