Roaring Noise...ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If the noise is not speed related, have you ruled out a fan that's not disengaging? It will stay engaged if the truck's low on coolant and sound like a roaring transmission that's not shifting out of second...

OP
OP
K

knockonwood

Reaction score
I have not thought of fan engaging.
There is a slight change in the sound that corresponds to speed, just not typical pitch increase. It's a subtle increase of volume and the rhythmic sound gets faster. Also I can hear the fans running distinctly from this noise. That makes me think it's not fan.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2wd 1st gen, so a lot wont apply. Recently I had new tires, brakes, rotors, upper control arms, lower ball joints installed. All great/ However at about 30 MPH I had a rumbling sound that was annoying. My gut told me wheel bearing. I took it back to the shop, they told me it was the Michelin Defender tires wearing in, wheel bearings were good. ok... I drove 100 miles, watched a youtube that said to put your hand on the spring to feel low frequency vibes while rotating the wheel in the air. Went back to dealer and asked if that was how they checked. A couple hours later I had a free new wheel bearing.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are they going to credit you for the $1900 in work, already paid, that did not fix the problem?

OP
OP
K

knockonwood

Reaction score
I bet you can guess the answer to both those questions. They did say they would "help me out" because it was so expensive again. Also, the transfer case has a 2 year warranty, so that's something.
Here's hoping this fixes the issue.

Jachniw

Reaction score
Based on OP's description, my vote is wheel hub assembly (i.e., wheel bearing).
My EXPy has 141K and all 4 have been replaced within the last 40K.