Roof Basket Started

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Photos sucks, drawings suck but you should get the idea. Below is a photo of my old Grand Cherokee and then again on my Cherokee just to show what I am going for in look. Just have to scale up in size for the Expedition. I wanted to round the corners but my pipe bender was denting the piping so I gave up and went angled. Not sure what Im going to do for a floor yet so if you got ideas shoot them to me. This is already heavy so think light. I was thinking something like a bleacher, aluminum and light but I dont know where Id get something like that. And NO Im not shopping at the local high school ! Lol

Untitledgg.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg
securedownloadojkjm.jpg
securedownloadmkl.jpg
securedownloadnk.jpg
securedownloadujiu.jpg
zj30001.jpg
starrkmoon.jpg

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what might work with some bracing if you can find enough and they are big enough is road signs. dont just go and get them off the highway. but if you can find some big signs it should work good. just paint them black.

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lol Dude I build Intersections!!! What kinda sign you want? Street names, Stop or one the size of a billboard!!! lol I dont want a solid floor. Now that you mentioned it I could get one big one and drill a whole hell of a lot of holes in it. Wonder if Id get lifted up at 65mpr?? Im going to look into that! But if I could find something like a bleacher then notch it to lay over the cross beams, running like 3 or 4 of them the length of the rack Id be able to stand and load and have ample attachment spots.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well there you go. road signs work the best for anything! i wouldnt mind a nice reflective slow down sign when i go off roading. we always camp in between the wash a main road. so we have a slow down sign on the road but its not reflective. its so old. haha

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Better photos. Going to have to cut out the one corner, not sure what happened but its off a bit. The top and bottom arent lined up yet.

014-2.jpg

011.jpg

001.jpg

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks like it will be built to withstand about anything, but what about the rack that you are attaching it to? I read somewhere that the load limit of the stock roof rack was 150 lbs. Maybe I'm wrong, but your rack by itself will be pushing that from the looks of it. I am going to buy a rack like this and also get the 24'' extension that will give me a total of 67''.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0525403640&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is the foundation of the rack http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=7865

http://www.discountramps.com/cargoImages/roof-top-basket-11.jpg
This is right around the size of my rack on my Cherokee's.

The rack Im making is 88” x46” at about 28 sqft over the 16 sqft area with extension on most bought racks. I like the way my old rack fit a Cherokee and thats what I want to copy.

I will have the 24 inch extension also, but I will not have the ability to walk on my rack like you will. It looks like your roof will give in before your rack will. That looks really nice. I wish I had a welder to do my own work like that.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will have the 24 inch extension also, but I will not have the ability to walk on my rack like you will. It looks like your roof will give in before your rack will. That looks really nice. I wish I had a welder to do my own work like that.

ME TOO! i need to get one and practice especially if i want to be a welder! the rack is coming out great! im thinking about getting one or making one too!

OP
OP
Blackwater

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys need a welder then!!! At the time mine was around $200 but it goes for around $150 at harbor freight.

I was able to fix that corner that got out of wack tonight. I just got to get or make a notching jig to make the supports, clean it up and paint it.

All and all its not as heavy as I thought it would be. Ill be sure to weigh it when Im done. From my other post and for the cross members I already have on the truck, those weigh less then a Thule crossbar and mounts. Guess when its all sad and done Ill see how many people I can get to stand on there to see what it can hold! Lol At least we can jump off before it gives!