Roof rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RTX 17

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just purchased my 05 two months ago and I've found out that Ford sold these Expy's with side rails but not the crossbars. At least mine was not ordered with them. Any idea what they are going for? I have a buddy of mine that is a certified welder and he can make up a set for me but again they wont look factory, although they may be stronger:waytogo: Anybody have any insight on the cost of new or junkyard crossrails? My bud said he could probably make a set for around $150. Glad to be on this new forum. Doug

OP
OP
RTX 17

RTX 17

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going with a homemade set of polished aluminum crossrails from my welder buddy. Cost probably equal to one Ford rail. i'll post pics when I get around to this. Doug

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could buy those, but. . . I love custom parts, and polished aluminum!! But those prices aren't too bad.

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know what the price for the 05 and 06 models are, but I called a Ford Dealership yesterday for a rear cross bar from an 03 or 04 model and its $161.00 Dollars just for one! SO I'm going to pick one up today from the junk yard for $50 bucks on my lunch break. I would imagine for your year it might be less.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sierra you might as well get both like the ones in mootoos link.

OP
OP
RTX 17

RTX 17

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know what the price for the 05 and 06 models are, but I called a Ford Dealership yesterday for a rear cross bar from an 03 or 04 model and its $161.00 Dollars just for one! SO I'm going to pick one up today from the junk yard for $50 bucks on my lunch break. I would imagine for your year it might be less.
From what I can see, the 03-04 roof rails are different from the 05-06's. The e-bay rails look to be for a pre 05, not sure though. Doug

OP
OP
RTX 17

RTX 17

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sierra, looking at your pic from your 03 they are different than my 05's side rails. the cross rails that go on mine actually slide through a channel on the inside of the side rails, not on top. Doug

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sierra, looking at your pic from your 03 they are different than my 05's side rails. the cross rails that go on mine actually slide through a channel on the inside of the side rails, not on top. Doug
thats how mine are too, inside channels

rvbuilder2002

Reaction score
Ford has delivered 2nd Gen. Expys with two different types of roof racks.

One has a nearly flush slotted track running fore and aft on each side with two quick adjust cross bars.

tracks2.jpg

The other has a raise side rail down each side like is common on mini vans, etc., with two cross bars between them.

rails.jpg

I have been unable to pin down which were used on which models. I have seen both on Eddie Bauer's, and I think I have seen both on XLT's.
I am inclined to think that it was an option to choose which was preferred.
I have not looked closely at 1st Gen Expy's but I am pretty sure they also have both rack types mixed among the different models.

When looking for replacement cross bars, make sure you are buying the correct ones.
I needed a set for the slotted tracks... I decided to go with some aftermarket rack accessories from Inno that gave me cross bars that are 60 inches long for mounting bike racks, kayak's, etc. They can be removed or installed in 5 minutes so we then have a bare roof when not using a rack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger