Rough Idle 2003 5.4 - Anybody else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know about toe '03, but my '98 5.4 runs "smooth as butter".

Once in a while.... a looooong while, it will skip, like a misfire, but I am talking weeks between events.

You may want to PM a fellow on this site who goes by kidtriton. He was a service tech for Ford, and may have some ideas for you.

OP
OP
G

Decided I didn't feel like ruinning my Saturday by going to the dealer. So I went to the camper show instead . After a day of rough idling around I decided I would just fill out a complaint form to Ford and see what happend.
One other thing - After the IACV and front diff yoke seal replacement I now here a intermittent high pitch shrill sound while accelerating that goes away if I let up off the gas. Doesn't do it every time so I can't carry it to the dealer if I can't prove it. I am trying to catch it on my cam corder. Anyone have any ideas

OP
OP
G

Update:
No word from the complaint I filed with Ford. Just an email stating they got my email and I would get a response within three business days - tomorrow is day 3.

Wife said the high pitch shrill was there again this morning when she headed out to work.

The front diff. yoke seal leak is back - I just happened to look under the EXPY in the garage and low and behold the seal they just replaced is leaking again - 3 big drops the size of quarters under the front diff.

What's wrong with this picture?

OP
OP
G

Update:
No word back from Ford. 10:00 pm tonight is 3 days.

OP
OP
G

How many times have you had the front diff worked on? Mine is on it's 2nd clutch pack at 9K miles! Hummm.... 1 more time and it's Lemon Law I think! Have to check on my state's law on that...

OP
OP
G

No clutch pack work... yet that is....
The problems I have had with the front diff have been:
First time: added a clip somewhere in the front diff to fix the vibration I was feeling when unit was in 2wd. I read about the fix here.
2nd time: Pinion seal was leaking - took 3 trips for fix (1st trip; look at it..yep it's leaking but need to order parts. 2nd trip; oops ordered wrong part. 3rd trip; fixed).
3rd time: Pinion seal leaking AGAIN - started 4 days after fix. See "2nd time:" above. Have not took it back to the shop for this yet.

OP
OP
G

UPDATE:
Had an email when I returned to work saying they (Ford) had tried to call me at home. The email had an 800 number to call them back. I called and after going through numerous prompts I finally got someone. Well after about 30 minutes of telling my story and pleading for help the nice lady told me Ford was sorry I was having problems and that I needed to take it back to the dealer to be fixed. I told her the dealer said "if the last fix didn't work then Ford said it was normal". Well the last fix didn't work so that's the reason I am complaining to Ford and talking to you. She still said I need to take it back to the dealer to be fixed. Now to everyone reading this doesn't it sound like I am stuck in a loop? She did say she was adding my comments to a problem ticket that engineering would review.
So what does a person do? I guess back to the dealer I go....

Lowandslow

Reaction score
Well i dont think this is the same problem, and i frankly dont know if it is a major problem, but in mmy 03 expo with the 5.4 it qivers at idle. THis is on a cold engine, and the whole body doesnt shake violently. It is just a quiver every 3 or 4 seconds. Any thoughts

OP
OP
G

Lowandslow,

Mine runs smooth as silk on a cold engine. My rough idle is after the vehicle is at normal operating temp. The shake or skip shakes the whole vehicle. You can feel it in the steering wheel, in the seat, and through your arm if it is resting on the door. You can pop the hood and see the motor giver/shake/skip intermittently.