Rough Idle and Shaking on highway.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rammer Jammer

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Eddie Bauer with the 5.4L and a 161k miles. This vehicle has been very reliable, never had any mechanical issues until now. Recently, i started having a few problems on Wednesday.

1. I started experiencing a very rough idle. I start the car, and there is a solid check engine light. It then idles so rough that it shakes the entire vehicle.
For problems 2 and 3, I have a flashing check engine light.

2. I seem to have no power when accelerating from a complete stop. It lost all acceleration at a stop light. I had to pull over, turn off the car, and wait. Once I started it back up I went on my way sluggishly. I struggled to merge at highway speeds. I was also experiencing a shaking/shutter that I explain further below.

3. When driving at on the interstate I start having this really bad shake. I'll be cruising at 65mph and around 2000rpms and I'll see the tach immediately drop to 1500rpm and the shaking starts. Sometimes an odd sound comes from the back right of the vehicle. As soon as I left off the gas, the shaking stops, and I accelerate again. It can do this "shaking" multiple times between mile markers.

any ideas what this could all mean?

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Issues 1 & 2 & 3 seems to be a sever misfire. How do the spark plugs look? When were they changed last time. The only time your engine light starts blinking is when you have a misfire

In short summary, seems you're due for a tune up, get that done and report back with results

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd do a diagnostic codes check before you yank out those breakable spark plugs. It's possible you've got a bad plug or two, but I'm betting on a bad coil or two. Had a taxi cab with the 4.6 start bucking like crazy, turned out to be just 1 bum coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rammer Jammer

Rammer Jammer

Reaction score
Codes showing:
171 Bank 1 Lean
174 Bank 2 Lean
300 multiple miss fires

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know the history of the rig but at 161k its time for a tuneup.

common problems with the 171, 174 codes are
1. vacuum leaks which could be hoses, or intake manifold gasket, PCV leak etc.
2. Mass Airflow sensor (MAF) dirty or malfunctioning
3. plugged fuel filter or weak pump
4. plugged or dirty injectors

All the multiple miss fires could be plugs or coils or coil boots. Although could be a number of other things these are the place to start testing.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well you've got multiple issues. 302-306 is saying your having issues with #2,3,4,5,6 cylinders. The 300 is a little more generic, catalytic converters, fuel injectors. Do you smell the rotten egg smell from converters? Do a fuel pressure test, need to be sure your getting fuel. I think it's time to pull spark plugs, how long have they been in there. Another item to check is fuel pump module and plug, up near spare tire. They get corroded, and cause a lot of weird issues. Also check cylinder 1 and 4 coils as you've got codes on those. Try swapping coils to different cylinders, see if code moves to different cylinder, replace those coils New plugs, and cop boots to start off with.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Moose,
I have only been a member a couple months and I bet this misfire and oiling dead engine are two of the most common engine posts. I just really hate to see folks having these problems, especially the dead engine one. There are a lot of people with no good choices to pick from on these engines. I am also into Jeep Wranglers so visit a lot of jeep sites, especially v8 conversions as I am going to do mine with either a v8 302 ford or 350 chev. I have both setups complete just haven't decided which way to go. Anyway someone mentioned putting the 5.4 modular into the jeep and a number of guys chimed in and said "don't do it, too many problems" and they are too wide anyway. So I guess I still don't know exactly what is going on. Some guys can get 250k+- with little or no problems and others die at 99K.
A mystery to me

LEOL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im not going to reiterate on what moose and snag have already said... so do be sure and check into the items theyve suggested... but one thing i wanted to point out is that again, we dont know the service history of the vehicle. at 160k on this engine, your symptoms are very common, and have various causes.

I do not recommend "throwing parts at it" until it works right, but i do however recommend proper maintenance.

at 160k, if you havent, or are unsure of whether the vehicle has ever had the fuel filter, plugs and/or coils changed and simple things like cleaning the MAF sensor... i recommend you do them REGARDLESS of whether they turn out to be the culprit of your current problem as these things can and will eventually produce problems like this.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It ceases to amaze me how many of our members run their SUVs and pickups way beyond the service intervals, then wonder why they have issues. When I worked on vehicles full time, you can't imagine the neglect I saw. Then they wondered why I had to charge more than the original estimate. He's got address the codes issues, along with tune up related issues. Being that he has a second edition 5.4 with the motor issues doesn't help. He will have to do one step at a time. This is the first post in over 2 years that had the multiple misfire codes. Well Rammer,keep us posted what you do.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score