Rough Idle???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spank 141

Reaction score
Whats up everyone new to the expedition world. I have owned several ford trucks and currently own 3 mustangs. Anyway I just got a 2002 expedition and installed a K&N cold air system and flowmaster catback. The truck was completely stock. So after a test drive and a drive down the freeway when I pulled off the truck started idling really rough and the check engine light came on. I don't have anything to read the check engine light with. I have installed several CIAs on my past trucks and I have never had a problem, but I went back and checked everything and I don't see anything hooked up wrong. Is there anything I need to adjust on a expy such as the idle??? I will be changing the fuel filter tonight and the oil was just changed. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just replacing the CAI should not affect anything. It could be a coincidence like a COP going bad, or you might have a loose vacuum line. Get the codes pulled at Autozone or Advance Auto (or the like) and that will give you a good place to start. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

spank 141

Reaction score
thanks for the info. I was thinking maybe a vacuum leak after I posted that. I didn't see a crack in it but I didn't take it off either my ford dealer has to order the part.

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im putting up another post close to this one. Subject po306.....Check in on it!

OP
OP
S

spank 141

Reaction score
replaced elbow with new part no help. I inspected to old one and didn't find anything wrong with it so I didn't think it was going to help. The idle is all over the place. I don't see much wrong with acceleration. Checked as much as I could for other vacuum leaks and could not find anything. Any more suggestions?

sparkone

Reaction score
Did you get the vacuum hose right behind the manifold? The one the guy's showing is for a 98, the 2002 is right behind the throttle body, running along the back of the firewall. I wet to Autozone, got a piece of 3/8 vacuum line, needs to be more than 12 in. and connected it straight, and put some hose clamps on instead of the lil green plastic elbow that is there.

OP
OP
S

spank 141

Reaction score
I got the same one that is in the picture of the link from above that included the pvc valve and the plastic tube. I see the hose you are talking about right out the back of the TB. Mine is in pretty bad shape starting to dryrot. I will run down to autozone and grab some hose and replace that one tomorrow. Is that just another vacuum hose?

sparkone

Reaction score
yep,change the pcv valve while your there, have them check for misfires, change plugs and cop's if their misfiring, then pull up in front a church and pray!

Condog09

Reaction score
replaced elbow with new part no help. I inspected to old one and didn't find anything wrong with it so I didn't think it was going to help. The idle is all over the place. I don't see much wrong with acceleration. Checked as much as I could for other vacuum leaks and could not find anything. Any more suggestions?

Did you get chance to run to auto zone and pull the codes and if you can have them let you look at it and record the short term fuel trims and long term fuel trims and if you can only get one get the long tem fuel trims. That will tell you if you have a vacuum leak or if you have another problem. You can tell A LOT about a vehicles drivabiliy problems witht the fuel trims and codes. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker