Royal Purple oil and filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little background... I purchased my Expy new in 2007 and at the 3000 mile mark I performed the first oil change and switched over to full synthetic motor oil from the factory blend. I have done habitual changes since using Mobil 1 or Quaker State and a Fram XG(gold housing) in the intervals of about 6000 mi. I'm getting ready for the next change with almost 50000 on the ticker and am considering going with the Royal Purple products. At 50k I thought it might be time for a little extra insurance. So, my question to all, are the Royal Purple products really worth the added cost? Anyone with some real world knowledge care to share their experiences? As I see it, the RP oil change will run me about $75 up from the normal $45. Is the extra $30 expense justifiable? Thoughts?

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried RP in my car and my truck and my truck liked it and my car did not so I did some resurch on it and I ended up draining it from both cars a week later.

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Friend had two motors blow up on him using royal purple. I WOULD stay away from it and the pos fram filters.. I personally use Mobil1 full synthetic and a motorcraft filter. I would also stay closer to 4,000 on oil changes, 6,000 is way too far for my comfort.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i met a guy that ******* from talking about RP...claims its the best stuff on the market and gives you 1-2 mpg's...slight increase in torque and hp...nothing alarming but just a noticeable enough that you can feel a difference...said it took 2-3 changes with RP to be like this...main thing he notice is the engine was smooth...

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been using RP in mine since I got it. Usually I will use the NAPA gold filter. It's a Wix filter with a NAPA sticker on it. Lately I've been watching the different parts places and they will have a sale on RP oil and filter. It runs smooth and I haven't had any problems with it.

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope not at all. Mobil1 will give you better protection and be cheaper. Do your engine right, don't use RP. Do a google search on actual lab findings about good ol' Royal Purple.

OP
OP
Dib52

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I've done some reading, there seems to be no middle of the road with RP. People either love it or hate it. Maybe it just some smoke and mirrors and fancy marketing. Now I'm wondering about possibly switching to Amsoil, almost everything about that stuff is great! Only about $2/qt more than Mobil 1. Regardless of oil choice, I'm gonna start using the Mobil or K&N Filters.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i use fram, my dads 04 tundra uses fram, our old 79 jeep uses fram my moms 08 4 runner uses fram. there is nothing wrong with them. ive used the "cheap" one, the "tough" ones and the high mileage ones. every time i change them there is nothing wrong with my oil. ive used a wix before and guess what? nothing changed. now a days filters are pretty much the same thing with slight differences here and there.

i would also stay from RP. had a buddy use it in his F150. it ran hotter and he lost mileage. i use catrol gtx high mileage, but all the other vehicles and other toys, ie lawn mower, 3 wheeler, get the basic gtx.

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Again it's personal preferences. I prefere motor craft, even on my Powerstroke. With oil I do mobil1 and for my Powerstroke I use Rotella