running e85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well guys i am going to be heading north for the holidays and i was woundering if i can run e85 in my 2000 expedition with the 5.4 and if not what has to be change to run it and what it will hurt it i do run it or should i just run regular gas

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
unless you tweak some of the parameters in the computer you will get a check engine light and a rough/lean running engine.... I did it in my 03 but only after some changes to the calibration and careful monitoring of the air/fuel ratio.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
IS IT POSSIBLE TO CONVERT A VEHICLE THAT WAS DESIGNED FOR GASOLINE TO OPERATE ON E85?

Yes. However, there are no conversions or after-market parts that have been certified by the EPA as meeting the standards to maintain clean exhaust emissions. Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties. No after-market conversion company has successfully certified an E85 kit that would allow a gasoline vehicle to operate on 85 percent ethanol.

The differences in fuel injector size, air-fuel ratio, PCM calibrations, material composition of the fuel lines, pumps and tanks are just a few of the components that contribute to making an E85 conversion extremely complex. It is our understanding that at least one company is working to obtain EPA certification. We will monitor the situation closely, understanding the certification process can be time consuming, difficult and expensive.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some people run it (with no modifications, in vehicles not designed for it) and report no problems.

IMHO, they haven't had any problems...yet.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can mix it 50/50 and not have any problems, but any stronger than that then the fuel system starts getting into too much of a fuel correction. Mine threw the check engine light when I got to 70% E85. Also without adding ignition timing the truck will run like a turd on e85.
If you want I could build you a tune that would be perfect for E85 or Premium unleaded and you reflash the truck. If your truck is 02 or older I can do 6 position chips that you can switch on the fly.
I can also fix some of the shifting that makes these trucks not very fun to drive......
Matt

OP
OP
M

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my truck is a 2000 with the 5.4 how much would it cost for the 6 position chip and a way to fix some of the shifting problems

for future referance if you have a 2000 dont put e85 in it inless you have reburn your pcm it was the wifes idea to put e85 in our truck last night since it was 1.99 a gallon and gas was 2.29. well last night no problems but after sitting over night today we got a check engine light. the truck was running to lean

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman