RWD vs 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noitidepxe

Reaction score
I expect there are folks who need 4x4 frequently and it's worth it to them. Most people rarely need it but buy it because it's cool. I don't see resale value as a good reason to buy a 4x4. The added complexity of the 4 wheel drive system means more potential for failures. Regardless of how often you use 4 wheel drive you're always carrying about the weight penalty of the system.

My father bought a new '79 full sized Chevy pickup 4x4. It rode like a buckboard (that's not an issue anymore) After owning for many years he told me one day he wished he'd just gotten a 2 wheel drive.

The only 4x4 I've ever owned was a 2001 Ford F150 Sport. I loved that truck, it was a great truck . . . until it turned into a rust bucket after 10 years (only 60,000 miles). I now agree with my father.

If you frequently need 4 wheel drive buy one. If you know that you're not going to use it frequently then maybe you should pass on it . . . or admit you WANT it more than you NEED it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 wheel drive is like buying a winch or a wheel chair. You hope you never need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If down in warm weather country and doing all on road driving I could see why for some 2WD is fine. But yep, nothing beats 4WD in being able to bomb down those unplowed roads to your cabin (fun stuff), it’s totally worth it right there:

Last edited:

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you need 4wd you will already know it. I can’t speak for the real northern guys, but in the Ohio valley I know you can build buildings from the ground up for decades and not own a 4wd truck. That’s even looking back on times when winters were much much worse.

Now that doesn’t stop people from buying one to make it to Starbucks on a couple of the worse days of the year. It does make dealers more money on the sale and repairs though. I think it’s programming they’ve slipped into the public lexicon.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought 4WD and the tow package. I wanted the heavy duty cooling of the tow package. I tow a 4500 pound boat. I wanted 4WD primarily because of the launch ramp. That said, I probably could manage with 2WD in most launching situations. However, I like to use very gradual throttle when pulling the boat out and the 4WD ensures better traction. I did test with and without 4WD and with the ramp very wet, I did slip a little with 2WD.

I normally keep my vehicle in 2WD. I do put it in 4WD auto when it is rainy outside. I did find a small amount of slip in 2WD in some rainy situations, the 4WD auto feels more secure. I live in TX, so snow isn't a factor. In NC, snow is somewhat of a factor. When in doubt, I would probably get it. You will get some money back on resale and may need it occasionally.

My prior SUV did get stuck in the wet grass one time and I did use 4WD to get out. Worked like a charm. I doubt I will ever use 4 low.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wagons with independent suspension and softer more sticky passenger type tires will always be better on icy slick pavement VS a empty pickup with hard off road tires.

2wd drive is fine for most people especially in flat land country. I bought 4x4 with heavy tow package to have the most capabilities when dealing with Sierra Snow in mountain country. We use it many times a yr. I run 2wd pretty much all the time other wise. I also tow but my trailer isn’t a weight issue.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll only consider 4wd in a truck. I know a couple of people who regret getting a 2wd truck. One of them traded it in for 4wd.

If you can afford to buy this kind of vehicle at this price, you can afford the few extra bucks for 4wd (resale has already been noted).

Red Raider

Reaction score
I’ve never regretted getting 4x4. Very few people need a true lock it in 4x4 because it’s only beneficial in a limited number of conditions. However, auto-four-wheel drive can be used everyday, in any conditions, and still get a lot of the performance of a regular 4x4’s. Ford should offer the auto as a lower priced option compared to the 4WD.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have two Acura MDXs and they got sh-awd which is the best awd in their class. When I bought a boat, MDX could tow fine up to 5000 lbs but they were struggled to go up the ramp or up hill.I didn't want to burst that tranny. I was looking for 2wd expedition but my buddy told me that I need 4wd to tow my boat comfortably up the wet ramp. He was right, I didn't have any issue with my 4000 lbs boat at all and 4wd was useful in couple snow and ice days in my state. I usually leave it on 2wd until big rainy days or ice/snow days. I think it's worth it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition