SAS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lve2wheel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok I'm a newbie on this particular site, but not a newbie to the forum world. So I apoligize if this has been over talked about or deserves to be in a different location. Mods please feel free to move if necessary.

Ok I know there has been quite a few discussion topics ( on this forum) regarding the SAS swap on 1st Gen expy's. Mine is a 97 4x4 5.4 xlt. Currently stock but in the process of a body lift, 3" torsion keys and crank up, and 3" spring spacer. running 37's

Im looking at doing a SAS swap in the spring to run 39's or 44's. There is actually a company that makes one. Im curious to know if any one has used this kit, or knows anything about the company. Info is fairly limited on the kit. And I have not yet contacted the company. Word of mouth to me is always more valuable. The price seems kind of cheap @ $750, but only includes the bracketry and hardware.

F-150 Straight axle swap conversion lift kit 4×4 dana 44, 60 1997-2003 | RPM Off Road Fabrication | Metal Fab Work

Or is it just smarter to fab up my own SAS swap or have a offroad shop do it.

Any posstive inquiries will be more than helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats interesting. I didn't know they had this swap out there. The price seems right since it comes minus the springs. The material looks good and the design seems solid. Looks like a good starter kit for the money.

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking into this also. Need to know if I can still stay with my rear 3.73 gear ratio or did I have to swap it out also. And can I stay with the same transfercase

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Big green,

You can keep the gear ratio. You just need a D44 or D60 with the same ratio. Transfer case doesn't need to change either. You will have to get a new front driveshaft that is the correct length. But if you're going that high you're probably going to have to lengthen the rear as well.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
This kit is really only a small part of the entire project. As stated above, you are certainly going to need the front axle, drive shafts, the rear lift to match, gears (I certainly wouldn't want to turn anything larger than a 37" tire with 3.73 gears) and then all of the "may as well's".

Madmaxwell87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or is it just smarter to fab up my own SAS swap or have a offroad shop do it.

It says on the sight you will have to do some fab work for the spring hanger, you'll also have to take off all the old ifs and ifs brackets as well as fab up steering, brake lines, drive shafts, springs, and get an axle(a somewhat rare and popular axle with off roaders making it expensive. You might have better luck having the shop modify it for a Superduty Dana 50 or 60 as they're much more popular and available making them cheaper)

With all of that, unless you or a buddy have fabrication experience, you will probably have to take the truck to an off road shop anyways to get all of that done. This kit would take away fabrication time and cost but could the shop do the same things for you for cheaper than the $790 this kit costs? Talk to a shop and ask them what they would charge for making a crossmember and shackles as that's the main part of the kit. You're probably gonna be looking at around $2-3k to get a solid axle up front if you buy everything new and include fabrication/installation labor.

Madmaxwell87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So with 37" I can still use my 3.73????

I wouldn't. The truck would be extremely slow on the street and need 4Lo for most normal 4Hi driving. Generally its 4.10s for 33s, 4.56 for 35s, and 4.88 for 37's. That's to get the truck driving and shifting somewhat close to stock.

The diesel guys can get away with 35-37s and 3.73s cause they have the torque and heavy duty axles, transmissions and springs to handle it. The torque on those components created by trying to move those big heavy tires with less mechanical advantage could eat up 1/2 components.

Do people do it? Absolutely but usually at the cost of trannys or axle shafts and long term reliability.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik