SD Trans Cooler Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a "how to" to install a Super Duty Trans Cooler into a F150/Expedition for added trans cooling.

Parts you will need:
1999-2001 SD Trans Cooler
PS Hose
8in 5/16 piece of break line with 5/8 fittings on it
2-3/8x5/16 adapters
2-5/8 Hose fittings
Flaring Tool

First thing to do is remove the headlights and corners.

Next step is to remove the plastic radiator cover and the grill. There are 10 screws that hold on the grill. 6 across the front top of the grill and 2 behind each turn signal light.
There are gap guards on each end of the grill that are held in by push in clips, there are 2 that hold it on each fender and 4 that hold it on the grill. Remove the clips and the gap guards.
Then there are 2 clips that hold in the bottom of the grill. Use a flat screw driver to undo the clips and remove the grill.
DSCF5351.jpg

Next step is to remove the inner grill support. There is a plastic cover that covers the inner grill support where you could see it through the grill. It is held on by 3 push in clips. Remove the clips and the cover.
There are rubber fillers on each side of the radiator and are held in by push in clips. There are 8 clips, remove the clips and fold the pieces in towards the middle of the radiator.
There are 10 8mm bolts that hold on the inner grill support. There are 2 on each end, 2 in a support on each side of the radiator opening, and 2 on the center support. Remove the bolts and the inner grill support.
DSCF5360.jpg

The next step is to remove the center support with the hood latch on it. There are 4 10mm bolts. 2 in the top and two in the bottom. (note: the bottom left bolt attaches the right side of the factory trans cooler to the center support) Remove the 4 bolts and the center support and place it between the bumper and the core support on the drivers side.
DSCF5354.jpg
DSCF5355.jpg

The next step is to mount the SD trans cooler. The bottom mounting arms aren't quite long enough to reach each side of the radiator and mount it with a bolt so this was my solution! There are two brackets on either side of the radiator with 2 bolts that hold on each. Remove the top bolt and loosen the bottom one about a 1/4 inch on each one. Now take the trans cooler and slide the 2 bottom mounting arms behind the two brackets an both sides of the radiator making sure the top mounting tabs don't stick up past the top of the core support and that it is centered over where the center support mounts at and re install the support bolts.
DSCF5357.jpg
DSCF5359.jpg

Use 2 #14 Hex self tapping screws to mount the top mounting tabs of the trans cooler to the upper core support.

DSCF5409.jpg

I used a 8in piece of brake line for the trans cooler connections that had two 5/8in male fittings already on it and cut it in half and flared the ends slightly so the PS hose wouldn't slip off. And for the connection to the trans line on the truck I used a 3/8 to 5/8 adapter with a 5/8 hose fitting. Screw the fitting into the trans cooler and attach the PS hose to the trans lines and you are an your way with cooler trans temps!

Installation of the truck is in reverse to whats stated above.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SWEET! did you tie it into the factory cooler or just use the factory lines? i might have missed it somewhere.

OP
OP
rburch

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I havent connected it yet! Waiting till i install new trans. But I'm connecting it to the factory cooler lines.

OP
OP
rburch

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to include that. Here it is.

1999-2001 Ford F250-F550 Super Duty all engines

Last edited: